New To Quail and One of the Hens broke her Leg 2day :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoopedChik, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I was moving my six coturnix quail hens to their new coop and they seemed just fine with it all but they where picking at another little hen I suppose for the stress or something, any way I opened up the door and the one they where picking on hopped out i picked her up like normal, very gently (she's a sweet girl so I wasn't worried about her running away, just lightly grabbed her) and when putting her back down she hopped out of my hand and I felt as she jumped down her leg SNAP. Like it snapped from her push off on the jump, she fell down and I reset the leg and bandaged it all up she's already walking back on it like normal only limped for a short while and even though its obviously still broken the brake was clean and is back in place. It scared me more than anything she doesn't even seem to be in pain but the legs obviously broken I just don't know how it happen ???? [​IMG] ???? I give them calcium vitamins mixed in their feed as a grit like substance so it shouldn't be a vitamin problem. but then again I don't know. [​IMG] I'm new to quail and although they all seem to be healthy I'm worried I'm doing it wrong. I wanna start breeding them for meat birds but I never even get eggs. The male I thought was a boy turned out to be a very moody old female so I'm going out this weekend to buy a male.

Also they love their new coop it's very nice [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Calcium vitamins? You can put calcium carbonate (oyster shells in their dust bath or mixed in their feed. Shelley mentioned cuddle bone crushed up. That's perfect too. It's calcium carbonate as well. Now if you want VERY healthy birdies and don't waste your gamebird starter all the way. I figured out a natural mixture that really makes the birds look beautiful, eggs pop out, and I don't lose them (other than the occassional snake).

I mix gamebird starter with either flock raiser or unmedicated chick starter (half and half). I then pour in finch seed mix (make sure thistles are in it and smaller seeds that won't be kicked out). As a scientist, I have given the 2 weeks time with the diet, but costs have been much less and the birds love it. Oyster shell is given in their dust baths along with mealworms twice a week.

Keep your hen bandaged. I had the same problem with my Stella. He decided to fly at 13 days and fractured his distal tibia. Injuries heal, just more TLC [​IMG]

3. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    All right thank you very much that was very helpful, and the hen is bandaged she is doing much better she ran down the coop stairs this morning with her sisters so I think she should be okay [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by