New to Quail...have some questions.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dispatch273, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Dispatch273

Dispatch273 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Connecticut
    I have a small coop about 5'x2' how many quail can I house comfortable in that amount of space? Also the bottom of it does not have wire, it's a wooden bottom that has shavings in it at the moment. Is wire really necessary? I had used it as a brooder for chicks. What protocol should I follow to ensure it's clean enough since I did have chickens in it? Also, it's located in my chicken's run...behind their garden-shed-turned-coop. It's 4' off the ground though so they will not have direct access to my chickens. Will this be an issue? Thank you in for any help you can give me!

2. Champion

Champion Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Alabama
    Quail need about 1 square foot of space each. As far as the wire bottom it's not necessary but it keeps you from having to change out the wood shavings, the poop will fall through the wire so it makes things a lot less messy.

3. Tayten B

Tayten B Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2014
    Marible,Wisconsin
    depends on what kind of quail you are getting gambles you could put like 10 but you have make sure that they don't pick at each other wheil what ever kind and amount you got to watch to make sure they don't pick but my recommendations are 6 bob white quail they are monogamous they pair one cock to one hen and they lay tons of eggs after the hit maturity but to looks atr some diffrent kids of quail look at a web sit called emeralds aviarybut I list a frw diffrent kind you can get for sale on most hatcheries

cortina

bob white

tennessee reds

gambles

cali. valley

blue scaled

4. Dispatch273

Mar 13, 2014
    Connecticut
    Good point about the wire bottom. I wonder how easy it will be to change it over to a wire bottom.... Thank you!
    Thanks!

5. Tayten B

Tayten B Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2014
    Marible,Wisconsin
    sorry the top one is corntnix

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    A wire bottom isn't necessary to keep quail on. There is a good post/article somewhere on here about keeping them on deep litter. Just search for it. It works great for my quail.

7. Dispatch273

Mar 13, 2014
    Connecticut
    Thanks, that's what I plan on doing with them since it would be more of a pain in the tush to convert the bottom to wire.

I just set 29 eggs today! I hope I get at least a few to hatch. They were shipped out Monday, I didn't get them until Friday. I set them late lastnight after letting them rest. I don't have much hope that any will hatch at all but time will tell!

8. Champion

Champion Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Alabama
    I keep my quail on shavings. Mine are Coturnix as well.
    http://m.imgur.com/FR0u9nM

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by