New to Quail Questions, & Pictures..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    We went to an auction Saturday and i loved the quail so my loving SO got me some 19 Pharaoh and 15 Texas A&M with 4 babies and about 30 eggs all for a fairly decent price the A&M are laying the Pharaoh are 6 weeks so from what i read they should be soon, anyway the eggs are in the incubator going well so far we lost 2 of the 4 babies they looked bad when i put them in the brooder the other 2 are fabulous, now for the questions,

1. I know they eat Game bird feed, but can they eat chicken laying crumbles??

2. Are these two types good for beginners?

3. we built them this pen its pretty nice still not totally done need to add the siding to the outside and put in some stuff, can i put fake plants in there for a more real environment feel, what else can i put in there??

4. Is there anything they can not eat for treats?, besides sugary stuff ect.

5. is it okay to house the two breeds together? we are not worried about mixes

Here is their new home like i said not completely done but we couldn't keep them in the small cages

The Outside we are putting siding on it too.
    [​IMG]

The Inside siding already up!
    [​IMG]

The netting on the top
    [​IMG]

And here are some of the sweeties
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The light ones are Manchurian Goldens. You can house them together. They all came from the Pharaoh at one point so when you hatch their eggs you will get a great variety.

I recommend feeding them Gamebird Crumbles unmedicated...You can feed them the layer but quail do better on the extra protein in the gamebird feed.

Great set up [​IMG]

3. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:Okay got to go get Gamebird crumbles then!! and thanks

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    No problem. Glad to help [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Beautiful Quail! [​IMG]

6. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Nice looking Quail...I feed mine Game Bird Crumbles and Oyster Shell far as treats is concerned through in some meal worms they love um [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by