1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to quail (Rain Quail)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Milan quail guy, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Milan quail guy

Milan quail guy New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Hi there.
    I am getting my first few quail chciks in 2 days and I have a few questions.
    I have 19% protein chicken starter mix. What can I do to add more protein?
    I have sprayed their living area with bug spray and now there are dead black widows everywhere. Will the poisened black widow bodies kill the quail?
    I have a 60w red light bulb for them. Will this be enough heat for them?
    I heard there poo stinks alot. What can I do to make it stink less?
    Are rain quail and there eggs edible?
    Thanks.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    There seems to be very little info on rain quail out there, but from what I can find, they are somewhat similar to coturnix though smaller and more skittish - and perhaps slower to mature? I read the chicks live with their parents for 8 months! Doubt that would happen with button quail and coturnix in the wild.
    Anyway, I will assume that their protein needs are the same and in that case - if you insist on using the chicken starter - you can add cat food to increase the protein. Grind it in a blender or similar to make it small enough for them to eat. You want to reach 24-30% protein.
    The dead spiders - that depends on the bug spray used, but I'd definitely try to remove as many as possible before introducing the quail.
    60W - I have next to no experience brooding birds, but I believe I've read about people on here using 100W bulbs. If I were you, I'd test the bulb in the brooder you intend to use and see how close it needs to be to the substrate to reach a temp that is suitable for the age of the chicks you'll be getting (about 95 F for chicks that are just a few days old).
    Some people use deep litter as bedding for quail and say it reduces the smell a lot - there is a thread in the quail section on that, think it's called something like 'Deep litter - why it works'. I only have button quail, the smell of their poo doesn't bother me at all.
    I see no reason why their eggs wouldn't be edible.

Oh - and [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. Milan quail guy

Milan quail guy New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Can i feed them grower mash?

4. Milan quail guy

Milan quail guy New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Can i add sunflower seed to the chick mix?

5. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Never heard of rain quail but Im only a few months into quail
    To supplement protein
    Grind of catfood
    or give the chicks scrambled eggs

6. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Sunflower seed has a lot of fat and not very much protein, so I wouldn't give that as a significant part of the diet. And chicks most likely wouldn't be able to eat the seeds whole - you'd need to grind them.
    You could probably feed them 'grower mash', but whether it's a good idea is a different story - if the grower mash has 24+% protein, then yes, it'll be better than the chicken starter. But in general, 'grower' feed has less protein than 'starter' feed, so I don't think it would be an advantage to use the grower mash.

If I were you, I'd try to find a game bird starter that has the protein they need - that'll make feeding them so much easier.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    I have coturnix but I feed my girls (and a few boys) 24% protein. I supplement with meal worms which they LOVE LOVE LOVE. Free access to oyster shells all the time. I have mine on the bottom of a pen I made for them (80 square feet). I use straw on the bottom of my pen with a few overturned tupperware style containers I cut holes into the sides of so they can shelter in them if they want.

I don't give them extra heat but I do have 2 four foot LED shop light setups I run to give extra light at night (so they will keep laying during the winter). I tried cracked corn but they don't like it at all. :-(

I'm VERY careful not to use any chemicals around them.. but that's just me.

Hope this helps!

z

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by