1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to quail raising

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lynn Manes, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    We bought 4 females & 1 male Coturnix quail. One female died after only a couple of weeks. Unknown as to why,so haven't replaced her yet. They were laying from Day 1. Getting at least 2 eggs daily. Then temps changed here from 80's to cold & rainy about a month ago. Since then no eggs. We just built a larger,nice new pen and put them in it 2 days ago. They seem so much happier but still no eggs. The male was chasing the girls too. How much longer should I wait for eggs? I'm about ready to put these 5 in my freezer and start over.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    quail are quite sensitive to change, and moving will totally make them stop laying for at least 2 weeks or longer. Temperature can also have an effect, but light and change are the biggest factors. i would wait a few weeks at least before butchering them...they will always stop laying after being moved to new cages...I've even had them stop laying because i got them a new feeders.

3. Lynn Manes

Mar 18, 2015
    California

4. Lynn Manes

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    After writing the first post, when I checked my pen this morning8ng, lo and behold there was one quail egg. Perhaps these little ones will escape the butcher block after all:) I was told 6 females to 1 male but have just read the ratio is 2 per male. I was planning on purchasing 3 more females. What do you think?

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    6:1 is good. It will prevent any hens from getting too much attention

1 person likes this.
  6. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Honestly it all depends on the temperment of your quail... Ive had to keep 5 hens to 1 male, and 2 hens to one male AND 1 hen to one male before... A&MS are more aggressive towards each other so they need more space... lots of factors... easiest way to tell is if hens are getting too many feather plucked out of their heads, you need more females.. missing head feathers is usually overr breeding.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by