New to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NoSkiveez, Aug 14, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Hello everyone! I'm new to quail. I have 6 baby coturnix quail. Currently they live in a little crate on my kitchen counter but eventually will need to go outside. We are planning to build a pen for them this weekend and I was wondering how high the ceiling should be? I want it to be a comfortable size (I have about 14 other eggs in the Bator too).

I'm also planning to get some button quail later on down the road.

2. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My pen is about 6 feet high, but they don't really care about getting much higher than 3 or 4 feet. I think they only go that high when they want to follow my seramas around. They mostly stay on the ground and pop around like popcorn. Your gonna love those funny little things!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Typical Ceiling Height Should Be 16-18 Inches, Or Above 5 Ft. Anything In Between Allows The Birds To Build Up Enough Force And Speed If They Flush To Harm Themselves When They Bounce Off The Ceiling. So Go Low To Prevent That Build Up Of Speed And Force, Or High Enough They Can Control It Safely. [​IMG]

4. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Thanks! I think I am going to go with about 16 inch ceiling.

My quail will be elevated off the ground, will I need to give them grit?

Also, is there a link to foods quails cannot have ?

5. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    they only need grit if you give them food other than the processed feed.
    But, they should have a tray of dirt or sand for dust baths, which really helps keep em "clean" and not so stinky.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix are so much fun! Enjoy the little ones...while they are still little [​IMG] They grow so fast.

7. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I wouldn't have thought to put a dirt box in there, but I guess it makes sense because the chickens like their dirt baths as well.

Are they likely to lay their eggs in the dirt or will I need to provide material for them to nest on?

8. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Quote:Coturnix will lay eggs everywhere.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Coturnix will lay eggs everywhere.

I have kitty litter boxes full of pine shavings...those are the only places I find eggs in. I really consider them as mini chickens. They will lay in nest boxes if given the opportunity. I do find that IF their nest boxes are dirty THEN they all lay everywhere...that is my sign for cleaning day [​IMG] I love my birds.

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    All I Can Say Is Thank Goodness Eggs Arent Sticky.... If They Were God Only Knows Where I'd Find Them [​IMG]

My Coturnix Lay Wherever, Whenever.... Be Tearing Around Pen Chasing Someone And "oh, Uh Oh... Wait A Second"--- Plop, "there Ya Go! Right Now Where Were We? Oh Yeah Back To Chasin'"...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by