New to Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Anfan, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Anfan

Anfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Eubank, Ky
    So I just got around 120 Jumbo Coturnix Quail fertilized eggs from a local breeder that knew I had empty incubators right now. She said I could keep half of what ever hatched and that she may send more my way, other breeds of quail from what I gather, if I'm interested. Well my question is what do I need to know about quail that is different from Chickens. I raise Marans and Coachins so I want to make sure I'm ready with facilities for my new babies. The breed said my brooder boxes where fine for the quail but I would need a different style pen for the adults. I have mobile chicken tractors so I'm curious what are some good pen designs to use and what to stay away from. Also wanted to know is there much difference in raising quail over chickens. Like I mentioned I'm new at this, but am very interested in learning to raise this new fowl. And for those that would ask my incubators are setup already for the eggs, I did get that much information up front. Would love to hear opinions. Thanks!

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Quail are pretty similar to chickens, although there are different things to remember.
    They're sexually mature at 6 weeks of age and can live on average for 2.5 years but can go on to 5 years or more.

Feed
    Quail should have gamebird feed that is at least 22% protein or higher (max 30%). As chicks, they should be fed gamebird starter crumble which should be around 24% to 28%, then its up to you whether you'd like to continue feeding them this high amount of protein or lessen it.
    They should not eat chicken layer as apparently it has too much calcium for the males which could harm their kidneys.

Housing
    Some people like to use old rabbit hutches as quail cages and fix up the wiring to make sure its good for quail. Aviary mesh is good. Chicken tractors can be used as well, but provide hiding places. It relieves stress.

Quail can be raised on wire above the ground (decreases chances of getting worms and easier to clean, but can get foot infections), or enclosed in a grassy or soil area (more chance of getting worms, but better for feet. poop is everywhere unless cage is moved often, but its the closest thing for free ranging).

Also remember that quail do not roost like chickens. They cannot perch either, nor can they free ranged. They generally do not need nesting boxes as they'll lay where ever and whenever they feel like it, although placing a box with hay can encourage them to lay there. They also like to lay in darker places.

--

They should be kept away from the chickens due to the risk of the quail catching an infection from the chickens, which is lethal for quails but not as dangerous for chickens.
    For more information, I recommend going to this thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102281/coturnix-quail-basics-information-and-pictures-galore
    Pretty much has everything about the basics of quail. [​IMG]

3. Anfan

Anfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Eubank, Ky
    Thank you for the very helpful information. I greatly appreciate it.

4. Anfan

Anfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Eubank, Ky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Its hatching day!!! And little faces are joining me and my son in the poultry house

5. Anfan

Anfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    Eubank, Ky
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by