new to quail

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
hi all, ive never had or never wanted to keep quail, until last week 6 little japanese quail came into our 'rescue', quickly followed by another 6 (so yeah now we have 12)
i know NOTHING about quail and am quickly trying to learn how to keep them. i have 6 inside in the bottom of my finnch avery and 6 outside i a large portable chicken house with run.

how much room do quail need? ive read they can sit outside over winter but feel sorry for the 6 outside when the others are nice and cosy inside :)

also how do i sex them. i have no idea if i have girls or boys. i didnt even know what type of quail they were until i saw a pic on here about an hour ago!

i have them on quail food (really small pieces of grains and corn it looks like) is this ok for them? i read somewhere they eat bird seed??

ive given them a bowl of bird sand/grit/oyster shell mix too

ive quickly fallen in love with these little guys and think (hope) to breed them if i have males and females :)

thanks for the link that fabulous info...just left with one unanswered question...can quail live with mini chickens? (serama/chabo) i've read quaim cant ive with chickens (but the only reason given is because they are much bigger and can hurt them) but mini chickens are a lot smaller......would it be possible to let them live together r is there another reason why quail and chickens dont mix?

Please follow the link that is at the bottom of my signature. Coryza is a respiratory disease that chickens carry.

And only because I'm "slow", is a "mini-chicken" smaller than a bantam? (I'm ot a chicken person, but I've never heard that term before)
James

Edited to add: my apologies, I didn't realize that you were from Belgium, as there may not be a translation for "bantam" in Dutch, French or German.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom