new to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by spish, Nov 10, 2013.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    hi all, ive never had or never wanted to keep quail, until last week 6 little japanese quail came into our 'rescue', quickly followed by another 6 (so yeah now we have 12)
    i know NOTHING about quail and am quickly trying to learn how to keep them. i have 6 inside in the bottom of my finnch avery and 6 outside i a large portable chicken house with run.

how much room do quail need? ive read they can sit outside over winter but feel sorry for the 6 outside when the others are nice and cosy inside :)

also how do i sex them. i have no idea if i have girls or boys. i didnt even know what type of quail they were until i saw a pic on here about an hour ago!

i have them on quail food (really small pieces of grains and corn it looks like) is this ok for them? i read somewhere they eat bird seed??

ive given them a bowl of bird sand/grit/oyster shell mix too

ive quickly fallen in love with these little guys and think (hope) to breed them if i have males and females :)

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is a link that would be able to help you out.
    James

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thanks for the link that fabulous info...just left with one unanswered question...can quail live with mini chickens? (serama/chabo) i've read quaim cant ive with chickens (but the only reason given is because they are much bigger and can hurt them) but mini chickens are a lot smaller......would it be possible to let them live together r is there another reason why quail and chickens dont mix?

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Please follow the link that is at the bottom of my signature. Coryza is a respiratory disease that chickens carry.

And only because I'm "slow", is a "mini-chicken" smaller than a bantam? (I'm ot a chicken person, but I've never heard that term before)
    James

Edited to add: my apologies, I didn't realize that you were from Belgium, as there may not be a translation for "bantam" in Dutch, French or German.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by