new to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DuckDodgers, Dec 18, 2013.

1. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    I am thinking of raising quail. I looked on the forums and some on line but could not find really any "solid" information. So... I was wondering if y'all could give me the Basics like raising young, pen size and requirements etc.

Thanks,
    DuckDodgers

2. josand

josand Out Of The Brooder

Hi, this is me too!! I have just ordered some fertile eggs which will arrive after xmas, and I have never incubated or raised japanese quail before. How long do they take to incubate? Same temp and humidity as chicken eggs? Do they like scratching outside with a run on grass? A lot of cages I see are false floors or inside. I love to see my birds as natural as possible.
    What is the best food to feed them on????
    So many questions. I am sorry to be a pain :)

3. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    I agree I have so many questions to. I want them to have a natural bottom for their pen also what type of cover then need in the pen or things to perch on etc.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

1 sq ft per bird of cage size (assuming your cage is larger than say 4 sq ft.) Consider that when frightened the birds will fly straight up so make the top of the cage either too high or too low for them to hit it with force.

Feed chicks 30% protein game bird starter

feed adults 20-24% protein gamebird food (24% is the ideal number for adult hens)

Leave a full pan of oyster shell in the cage. The hens will eat it as they need calcium.

They don't brood their own eggs so if you want chicks you will need an incubator.

17 days average incubation time but the leave the eggs in for 20 days because you might get some stragglers. 50-55% humidity at 99 3/4* for first 14 days incubation . lock them down on day 14 and raise the humidity to somewhere around 70%.

If you keep them on the ground and not on wire it needs to be a well drained floor. You do not want them walking around on wet dirt, dry sand is best.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  5. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    wonderful thank-you so much

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Duck Dodgers (my favorite Daffy "character"), Welcome to the Quail Forum on BYC.
    Another thing you can do for a quicker answer to your questions is to use the "search tool" near the top of the page (where it says, "Search Discussions, Reviews, Articles & More!"). Nine chances out of 10, somebody else has asked the same question before, and one of our knowledgeable members have answered it. I hope this helps,
    James

7. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    it did thanks

8. J in SoCal

J in SoCal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Wildomar CA
    I can try to answer question for you. I raised quail as a good and now have started back up. I've been back at it for about 7 months and know what works and what doesnt. I can say for 100% that they poo a lot. lol

9. J in SoCal

J in SoCal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Wildomar CA
    This covers most issues. I do not put my quail in lockdown till day 15. If you cant find the Game Bird Starter in your area, Look for Turkey/Game Bird Kracklets. Most places will have that. My breeder cages are small. Each cage has 4 sections in each that are 12x24. Each section will hold 1 roo's and 3 hens. I found that ratio online and it has worked great for me. My baby brooder is nothing more than a very large gray bin box. I use 72W bulbs clamped to sticks on both ends of the bin box for adjustments. I use two just in case one burns out... I keep the temperature directly under the lights at 105ish. I have a baby chicken waterer that I put small marbles or river rocks to stop babies from drowning. I only have to do this for 3 days. On day 7 they come out of my baby brooder and go to a larger brooder. This brooder has a 1/4 x 1/4 wire floor. Remember that these guys need a heat source for a minimum of 4 to 5 weeks. Hope this helps

Jerry N Wildomar

10. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    it did a lot thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by