New to quails, suggestions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beckyschicks, Aug 3, 2010.

1. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    I'm getting a couple(3 or 4) of coturnix quails on Friday, I have a 4x3 ft rabbit hutch for them, the usual waters and feeders. Gamebird crumbles for them. Is there anything special I should get for them that I normally wouldn't get for chickens? These are my first quail and I plan on keeping them seperate from the chickens. I just was wondering if they involve different or special treatment than the chickens do? Also what kinds of "treats" do quails like? I have pretty spoiled chickens that are happy, I'd like to do the same for the quails. Thanks in advanced for the advice. Oh and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the females won't lay eggs unless there is a male. Is that true? Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Sounds like a decent set up for that number. If you have more than one male in that group, you're probably going to have some fights. If you can pick the sex, I would suggest one male and 3 or 4 females.

My breeder pens get only game bird starter (30%) and oyster shell. I have a pen of males waiting for freezer camp and I feed them day-old bread products. I only give them feed when I don't have any bread products.

Good luck. There are a lot of experts on here (I am not one of them), so you can find lots of info by searching old posts and stickies.

UGCM

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I agree, too many males will cause fights in that kind of set up.
    Also, you do not need a male for a hen to lay [​IMG]

4. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thanks. Ok so how do I sex them when I go to pick them up? They are only about 2 wks old she said. I don't think that I can cull if I get to many males, probably could find someone that would do it for me but would like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks again!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Read The Sticky Post Here At The Top Of The Quail Section--- It Will Cover Volumes Of Information As Well As Sexing [​IMG]

6. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Ok so I read the sticky, but I woman I am getting them from said they are white with a blk dot on their heads. I assume A&M. Can I sex them then by color? From pictures I've seen, I don't think so. So do they have the foam at that young of an age? Sorry for all the questions, I just like to make the best decisions possible. They say quails can live for 4 or 5 years, so I would like to make them good ones. [​IMG] Oh and how long do the eggs last? Same a chickens?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ENGLISH WHITE OR A&M'S CANNOT BE SEXED BY COLOR. THEY MAY BE VENT SEXED IF OLD ENOUGH TO BE SEXUALLY MATURE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TO BEER SEX THEM....

WITH PROPER CARE THEY CAN EASILY GO PAST 5 YRS. I HAVE AN ENGLISH WHITE ROO THAT IS 8.... I LOST HIS GERIATRIC MATE LAST YR, SHE WAS 9 THEN AND STILL LAYIN FERTILE EGGS. I DONT THINK THOSE 2 ARE THE NORM, BUT THEY DID/ DO SHOW A BIT OF LONGEVITY FOR THE SPECES.

AS FAR AS FOOD STORAGE YES QUAIL EGGS LAST AS LONG AS CHICKEN EGGS. AS FAR AS STORAGE FOR INCUBATION- YOU'LL FIND BEST HATCHABILITY IF THE EGGS ARE SET BETWEEN 3 AND 7 DAYS OLD, THO THEY MAY BE STORED UP TO 14 DAYS AND HATCH THE HATCHABILITY OF COTURNIX EGGS DROPS SHARPLY AT DAY 10 AND CONTINUES TO DROP PAST THAT POINT AT AN EXPONENTIAL RATE.

8. beckyschicks

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thank you so much! I have learned so much on reading just this section alone. You have been a great help. I hope that mine make it as long as yours. I'm really excited about getting them and enjoying them. Wish me luck! Oh and one more question: as far as meds go for illness, is the antibotic use the same for them as it is for chickens? (Depending on the illness of course.) Is medicated crumble necessary for chicks? Ok Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by