New to rabbits

ChaosTheory

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
I adopted a rabbit! It's coming home tomorrow, and is just over a year old. I've been reading up on them but still feel like I don't know much about them! Any advice? She is not spayed and is a larger dwarf mixed breed. I'm not sure what kind of food I should be getting her, what kind of treats she would enjoy, what toys do rabbits like to play with?

Does anyone have a litter trained rabbit? Was it hard to litter train them?
I will post pics when she comes =] But any information or stories on adopted rabbits is greatly appreciated!

I raise my rabbits in cages outside but i have noticed that ususally they like to go potty in one corner. To littertrain put the litterbox in that corner, they will keep on using that area and the box. Not sure how long it takes. If you are gonna keep her inside keep all wires off the floor, block plug-ins and electrical outlets. Wooden table legs will get chewed during bunny-playtime. they like to dig up carpet and drywall too. Being an older unspayed female she may display aggressive behaviors, especially around-in her cage. It would be good to get her fixed. Bunnies live for a long time indoors, up to 12 years or so, so get ready for a lifetime commitment
smile.png

A good pelletized food with a 16% protien will be just fine for her, treats can but should be sparingly given.. bunnies can get obese on a vegetarian diet belive it or not. When you pick her up ask for a baggie of the feed they have been feeding , and slowly incorporate your feed into it each day until she is on your feed. Bunnies do make great housepets, but I have dogs and really have no time to be chasing a rabbit around the house. But there are several online sources that can help you and your new bunny build a loving relationship! Houserabbit dot com is one of them I think. Good Luck!

Our rabbits get alfalfa hay, pellets and grass hay.
The snacks they get are carrots, romaine lettuce, parsley, basil and once in awhile they get a yogurt chip treat.
We build pens in our yard and turn them loose in them, but we stay with them when they are outside.

As for toys we stuff the grass into empty toilet paper rolls and let them play with them.
We also have salt wheels.

In the heat of summer we fill empty pop bottles with water and freeze them. Rabbits can stand the cold better then the heat. Be careful because they will chew up the bottles. Ours also play with them.

ohh i second the keep wires up. my bunny used to chew up cords and chewed on the wall!! my mom was sooo mad lol, but she isn't anymore since the bunny passed away.

my bunny also liked apples. i gave her treats once a week.

also if you'd like to be able to hold her, you have to her her often!!! i made that mistake with my first baby. i worked too much and didn't get to her much. 0-8i (that was my new bunny billie saying hi lol she jumped on my lap top)

i learned the hard way that hay is important for bunnies ui 32ws (that was billie saying yess it's important haha. she's jumping everywhere and watching my ducks chase each other and fly). hahaha.

my bunny used to chase a string when she was a baby but she grew out of it. she loved her salt lick and she never liked chew toys.

good luck!!

Thanks for the information, everyone! So different kinds of hay are important for rabbits? She will be coming sometime tonight, so I will post pics tomorrow =]

Watch the information on houserabbit.org. Some of their information is unsafe and dangerous for rabbits. Esp their diet, and som eof the toys they recommend (towels, cardboard, etec). Which is lots of leafy greens and very little pellets. That can cause some pretty severe gastrointestinal disease, and a huge stack of vet bills for you. Get yourself a copy of the guidebook to raising better rabbits and cavies. The recent edition has an excellent section for keeping a pet house rabbit. All the information you will to know about keeping one is in that book. You can get it www.arba.net. Unlike the house rabbit society, the ARBA provides accurate information that won't harm your pet. All you basically need is a cage for the rabbit, a litter pan to place in the corner where it poops, and good quality pellets, hay, and water. Thats it. Rabbits are fairly easy to care for. All leafy greens and vegetables should be fed in moderation and strictly as treats. they are not nutritionally necessary, and can cause a lot of harm to the rabbit if fed too many.

Back
Top Bottom