New to raisig chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KimmiCoop, Dec 20, 2012.

1. KimmiCoop

KimmiCoop New Egg

Nov 29, 2012
    Colorado
    I am in the process of building my first chicken coop right now. Will be getting some baby chicks in a two or three months.I covered the bottom of my coop with hardware cloth which rests on the concrete frame and the ground. hopefully will keep the predators out. Not sure yet about the flooring. I live in Colorado and I know the weather has a lot to do with moisture and mold. Trying to keep it clean and safe for the Girls. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also am planning on putting a roof over the hen house and the run to help keep it dry. Any suggestion in general for one who is new to raising chickens and building a first chicken coop would be greatly appreciated

Kimmicoop!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, KimmiCoop, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. the HW cloth underneath is a good idea. In terms of moisture a lot of people use just plywood and paint it or they go to their local floor covering store and buy a linoleum remnant for cheap - that does make for easier clean up. Some opine shaving or straw on top of that and you are good to go! Best of luck to you and your spring chickens! Also, have a gander at the coops section here if you haven't already - some ingenious designs and ideas!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Also check out the Learning Center for more info and tips on raising chickens. Have fun!

5. DeColores97

DeColores97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Glad to hear that there others with the same questions I had. : )

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by