New to raising a house goose!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Franksmom, May 20, 2019.

1. Franksmom

Franksmom In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Hi! I'm Franks mom, and I'm extremely new to all of this! My husband and I took in a baby goose, only a few weeks old, and figured since I am a stay at home mom with our infant son that raising Frank wouldn't be an issue. That being said, I have never raised a goose before and am entirely new to this!
    Our little goose is Frank, we had named her before we discovered she is a female, but she already got used to being Frank so it's stuck. She is an indoor goose and loves to snuggle. We have 3 other pets as well that she interacts with, our 2 dogs and our chinchilla.
    Frank and our chinny, Clyde don't really care to bother one another, but Frank absolutely loves our pitbull, Diablo (D for short) D is still confused by Frank but is learning how to behave around her. As for our old lady Pomeranian (Tj), she doesn't care for spending time with other animals so she tends to avoid Frank.
    I would love any type of input or advice everyone could give me for raising Frankie, especially if anyone has any advice for training her! Screenshot_20190518-085259_Snapchat.jpg

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Can you get Frank a friend that looks like him?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<Click there to go to the thread.

BYC has an APP!

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Franksmom

Franksmom In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Would getting Frank a familiar friend help us raise her? And thank you!

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Yes I think Frank would love a buddy of his her own kind.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. Camellia

Camellia Songster

May 14, 2019
    Austria
    welcome to byc! we're glad to have you! I wish you luck on raising frank :ya

fldiver97, sourland, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  6. kschaff1

kschaff1 Chirping

May 19, 2019
    Hi Franks mom! I also had a house goose for a bit, his name is Waffles and he is now an outdoor goose. I love him to pieces but it was better for him and for my sanity that way XD Waffles was also happiest when I put him with his duck buddies. They were too small for awhile to be with him but Waffles was very upset any time he was left alone so as soon as they were big enough I put them together and he’s been a happy goose since!

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. @Fields Mountain Farm raised a lone goose i believe so hopefully she will drop by to share her experience.

8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have Lots of FUN! :wee

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I would look to getting her a friend and moving her out of the house. Birds are happiest with their own kind and being outdoors. Good luck!

10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Frankie is adorable! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: