New to raising babies

Jayme

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 5, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Hello,
I just got my first ever group of 4 baby chicks! I was wondering how much I should handle them, I have introduced the chicks to my fascinated dogs and they seem to get along great but I want them to be friendly with humans. Any helpful hints please?

Thank you,
New chick momma

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I hold and handle my new chicks as often as I possibly can do so. The more that they are handled, then the friendlier they will become. If you do not handle them at a young age, then they will be afraid of you when they get older.

One thing.

Don't leave your dogs where they can get to the chicks when you're not around. I am sure you wouldn't, but if you do, doggie's probably going to try a chicken snack...

I wouldn't handle them too much as chicks. If you spend even just a few minutes around them every day you should be good.

I have 23 hens and a roo and they all follow me all around the run like I'm their mama...

All I've ever done is just feed them mostly...

My dogs are tiny and can't reach the chicks area. It was fun to see them interact with one another (supervised).

Thank you for your help, so I should be around them and hand feed them, but just not too much. What could happen if you hold them too much?
Thank you

I don't know about anyone else, but when we got ours in June we just held them as much as possible to get them used to us. We now have a big BO roo who doesn't mind us picking him up at all - he's such a sweetie. I think the more you handle them at a young age, the easier it will be to hold them as adults whenever you need to ck them for mites, lice or injuries. All of our chickens follow us around whenever we're in the run with them. Guess they think we're mobile treat dispensers.
lau.gif

I was very careful to watch my 1.5 yr old son though - wanted to make certain he didn't squeeze them
sickbyc.gif
. I did not trust our dogs though, since they have a strong chase instinct
barnie.gif
. It depends on the breed & temperment of your dog though I guess. Good luck!
smile.png

Hummmm....Ok guess i will try my best to hold them as much as possible because I want friendly chickens like you! I think it is so cute that your chickens follow you around, I had no idea how cool it is to own chickens and how much personality they can have!

I have a little yorkie and a small terrier mutt and they would not hurt a fly, but they keep trying to sniff my chicks tiny tails!

Thanks for your insight TaLani!

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with handling chicks too much - that's why all my girls are so friendly!
The concern posted above may be directed towards kids - it's hard for kids to resist those little fluffballs and they can sometimes get too exuberant in their love.
wink.png
So, if you have kids, keep a close eye on them when they are holding the babies. Also, as the chicks get older, they will start trying out their wings, so if you are standing up and holding them, be careful that they don't try to leap out of your hands - some of those crash landings can be tough!
Have fun with your babies!

I have been trying to hold the chicks as much as possible and even feeding them out of my hand. Our yellow one now runs over to greet me and jumps in my hand right away, my doggies are even trying to protect the little ladies now!

Back
Top Bottom