New to raising baby chicks and keets!

Keets n chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
Hi, my family and I just got 6 guinea keets and 6 chicks to raise (they have been with us for a week and are 2 weeks old). We mainly wanted the guineas to help with pest (read: tick) control, and we read that raising them with chicks makes them easier to handle when they are adults. It has been exciting (though stressful) thus far and we are learning new things from them every day!

We have recently run into a problem with the chicks (blood at the base of the wings on all chicks, but not on keets), which is why I joined this site. Could someone please take a look at my thread titled "Chicks with dried blood at base of wing - please help!" ?

Any sort of help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

It generally isn't advised to raise different species of poultry together. Size can be an issue, feed requirements and heat levels are all different. I would raise the two in different brooders.

Good luck and welcome to our community!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

It generally isn't advised to raise different species of poultry together. Size can be an issue, feed requirements and heat levels are all different. I would raise the two in different brooders.

Good luck and welcome to our community!
Oh, we read somewhere that raising them together was recommended if you wanted to train the guinea hens to go into the coop at night once they are penned outside :hmm. They have been together for about a week and seemed to have integrated well thus far. What age would you recommend introducing the chicks and keets to each other?

Oh, we read somewhere that raising them together was recommended if you wanted to train the guinea hens to go into the coop at night once they are penned outside :hmm. They have been together for about a week and seemed to have integrated well thus far. What age would you recommend introducing the chicks and keets to each other?
You might post this question in our Guineas forums for a more in depth answer to this... :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/guinea-fowl.45/

Back
Top Bottom