new to raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchicker2016, Mar 24, 2016.

1. newchicker2016

newchicker2016 New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    My chicks have swollen and hard crops. What to do to help?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]
    Can you post a photo?
    What type of food/treats are you feeding?
    What type of bedding are they on?
    Are they eating, drinking and pooping?
    When you say "hard" are they really hard or just feel firm - do you see a noticeable emptying of the crop?
    Sometimes chicks look like they have really swollen crops, but it may be normal, especially if you are noticing it in all of them.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

3. newchicker2016

newchicker2016 New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Feding them starter. Sleep in cedar shavings. They still want to eat and are pooping and drinkinh. Went down some over night. Took for away over night. It was hard very firm. One has hurt leg not putting weight on it. Any help with that?

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    IMMEDIATELY GET RID OF THE CEDAR SHAVINGS.

Cedar is toxic to baby chicks and sets them up for a life time of potential respiratory issues. Pine wood shavings are a better choice... with paper towels covering the shavings for a few days, so the babies learn not to eat it.

A chick's crop should be full at night and empty in the morning. This should continue all their healthy lives. It can be full and hard... but as long as it's empty the next day.

For the hurt leg... Was it an injury? Is there any swelling? Could it be broken?

For injuries, a chick sling is a really great tool to help your little one heal. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713499/my-chicken-sling-pic

If it's leg weakness from a deficiency, you can add vitamins to the water. If it's due to a neurological issue, some you can treat and some you can't.

Let us know!

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  5. newchicker2016

newchicker2016 New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    I eas wrong it is pine shavings. He wasnt limping yesterday. So something thru the night. Still trying to walk and eat. Just holds it up.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @MrsBrooke has given you some good advice.
    How large is your brooder? Do they have plenty of room to move around?
    Pictures?

1 person likes this.
  7. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'm relieved about the shavings. :) I promise I wasn't yelling. Okay. Well. Maybe a little.

If you look at his little leg, do the toes look okay? Any swelling at the ankle, hock, or hip? Any bruising?

If you *gently* press and manipulate areas of his leg, does he appear distressed? What areas?

If he's getting picked on, you might consider separating him from the others with a partition, so everyone can still see everyone, but he can rest undisturbed.

If you see any of this, give him a little support with the chick sling previously mentioned/linked.

Also, pictures, if you can... worth 1,000 words, they say. :)

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  8. gil377

gil377 New Egg

Mar 25, 2016
    I have a question

Well today I colllected eggs from my coop and I had them in the refrigerator for about an hour when I took them out and noticed one of my chickens was broody so I put the eggs under her and so far she's still on them. Will they hatch although they were in the fridge for only an hour ?

9. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    The brief time in the fridge shouldn't bother them at all. :)

Good luck with your hatch!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by