new to raising baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baxtersbeauties, Mar 2, 2009.

1. baxtersbeauties

baxtersbeauties Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    Stoneville NC
    I have lots of questions. How far away does the heat lamp need to be from them I can't seem to get mine to 95. I can get it to 75 so I did a little bit of things with the brooder I built. The brooder is in the building outside. If it warms up some I think I will be ok. Will post pic of brooder. Is the feed from TSC ok to use and will I need the chick grit with it? Have more ?s but these are the major ones. And thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I buy Purina feed and no grit is needed until you feed your birds treats.

As for the brooder (4x3) I use two 250watt bulbs and keep it partially sealed so enough circulation occurs and heat doesn't escape. The lamps are placed in the top corner.

How big is your brooder and for how many birds?

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am new to this too, but I am in my fourth week with my chicks.

I found that a 250 watt red heat lamp (like in your picture) about 18 inches off the floor got me about 95 degrees. Mine started in the house for two weeks and are now out in the coop with two heat lamps (in case one malfunctions when I am absent). In the coop, it is a lot colder (30s-50s day, 20s-40s night) so I put the lamps a little lower... just over a foot up and the temp is pretty high directly under them (over 100) and then it gets cooler as you move away from them. The chicks just find their happy place in the circle of heat... some closer than others. Then during the day when they are playing and eating, they roam around all over the place in the colder air (draft-free) not under the light. They seem quite happy.

As for feed and grit... brand new chicks need to be on chick starter feed (also called crumbles), which is ground up very finely and they don't need grit to process it. However, my chicks came from Murray McMurray and they suggest sprinkling special "chick grit" (smaller than regular grit) on their food like you would salt on your own food starting on day three. But, again, they don't need it until they start eating other foods that come in bigger pieces. So, if you want to start them on treats after the first week, grit will be needed. Also, MM says that it helps to stimulate gizzard development, so I figure it's a good idea starting on day 3 like they suggest.

Hopefully that helps! Good luck getting your temp on your brooder and give us updates when you get your chicks (with pics, of course!).

4. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    p.s. it only needs to be 95 degrees directly under the lamp... cooler as you move away from it.

5. baxtersbeauties

Aug 4, 2008
    Stoneville NC
    the brooder is 5ft by 2ft and again thanks for the help

6. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    how many chicks are you getting? They need 1/2 square foot at first and then more as they grow. 5'x2' would be big enough for 20 new chicks.

7. baxtersbeauties

Aug 4, 2008
    Stoneville NC
    forgot something i will be getting 12chicks

8. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I think you're good to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by