New to Raising Backyard Chickens: ANY ADVICE WELCOME!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eugenechick, Mar 4, 2014.

1. eugenechick

eugenechick New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Eugene, OR
    Hi all,

I'm new to raising backyard chickens. I purchased my 3 cute little chickies about 2 weeks ago and I'm just now getting their coop together for when they are ready to go outside. Like I said before, I'm completely new to this and would love any advice from you all who are experienced and have been through the ringer with raising chickens in an urban setting ( I should mention that I'm raising chickens solely for laying purposes). I would love to know any personal experiences, stories, trials, dilemmas, lessons learned, anything at all! I want to know as much about urban chicken raising as I possibly can so I can give my chicks the best environment possible and avoid costly mistakes :). This is a great resource and I'm so happy to be apart of such a wonderful online community :)

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    hi and [​IMG]
    I live on a farm, so I can really help you, but I just want to say that chickens are addictive, so in a few years you'll probably have 10 times the amount you wanted to start of with!! [​IMG]

3. eugenechick

eugenechick New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Eugene, OR
    Thank you for the warm welcome! Hopefully I own more land by then ;P

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The Learning Center is the best place to start.

If you want to meet people in your area go to "where am I , where are you," in the social forum. You can locate and post on your state thread.

Also in the social forum you can read "Stories and pictures of my chickens," real life experiences.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG] hi you should have the heat lamp at ninety degrees dropping 5 degrees each weak and get chick safe waterer or they might drown also give them warm water as cold can chill them and even kill them[​IMG]and make sure to have lots of fun with your feathered friends [​IMG]

8. chickadee43773

chickadee43773 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Guernsey County, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    I'm new to this too! I haven't started building my coop yet but have been thinking of plans for it. Should start building soon though because I am sure the chicks will be grown before I know it!

9. eugenechick

eugenechick New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Eugene, OR
    THANKS EVERYONE! You're advice and well wishes are much appreciated!

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a really nice learning center [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by