New to raising chickens and BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bconner, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Bconner

Bconner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Hi

Picked up a couple of Red Star chicks about 2 weeks ago and assembled a coop this afternoon. Up to now they've been entertaining me in a couple of large boxes in my home office.

We have 2 acres outside of Phoenix so we don't have to worry about cold winters much. Just our dog; will need to work with her on that.

I do have questions about a coop I bought and assembled today. Will post those in another area.

Thanks!

Ben

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Ben. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. It would be best to post on your state thread and ask how they get their birds through the heat/what breeds tolerate it best. You will need shade, shade, and more shade. Either natural or manufactured. Lots of cool water.

I'ts usually best if dogs/cats, never meet chicks/chickens. Generally ends up with dead birds. Usually a house pet does them in, oddly some of the toy breeds are the most ruthless killers.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Ben and welcome to BYC. I hope that you continue to enjoy your chicks - keeping chickens gets strangely addictive.

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Ben, it's nice to have you here!

Hope you enjoy those little ones, they'll be big egg laying girls before you know it.

5. Bconner

Bconner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Thanks for the replies! Yes, while our old girl sleeps most of the time, she still seems unnaturally 'alert' when she's around the two young ladies. Will have to have close supervision until she passes on. Sadly, based on the breed that won't be much more than a year from now.

--Ben

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by