1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising chickens and have an issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katz5617, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    I got the girls as small biddies early this summer. They are about 21-22 weeks old. Yesterday Lady was fine and today I went out to feed them and she seems to be listing to one side. In fact she had not even come out of the coop, but when I went inside she made the effort, but I had to help her down the ramp. All of the others seem fine and Lady was yesterday. Lady is my absolute favorite - she doesn't have any injuries, no pulled feathers - she looks absolutely perfect - but listing to the side, but she ate from my hand when I fed her. Is there something in general I can give her that would cover just about anything or should I carry her to the vet. I haven't wormed her this month - should I do that. She hasn't had any loose stool and her butt looks nice and clean so she hasn't had any loose droppings. I'm in a panic something will happen to her. I don't know if it makes any difference or not - she's a RIR and she's never laid eggs - still a bit young.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she could be showing signs of weakness on one of her legs. Have you checked her legs for any swelling, redness, or signs of bumblefoot (swollen foot pad with as dark spot)? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Different problems can cause balance issues--ear infection, lameness, Mareks disease, vitamin deficiency, or some type of toxin or poisoning. I would watch how she sits and stands, if she is sitting on hocks or elbows, and if any toes are curled under. Short videos posted to YouTube have been very helpful in the past. First of all, I would start her on poultry vitamins in the water or in her food, in case of a vitamin deficiency.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  3. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    I've looked at her feet and legs - there are no marks, no swelling and no blood. She seems to be listing to the left side. When I helped her down from the ramp she ate from my hand and then went to one side and sort of squatted. That's when the other four noticed and the BO went over and started to peck her so I put her back in the coop until I could go get the kennel and put straw in it. I ran down to Tractor Supply and picked up some medicated feed. I keep them wormed and have DE out for bugs. I give them a good quality feed and from the garden I offer them greens - their treats are meal worms and cracked corn - but I just toss out a handful - it is never as their main food source and they don't get that daily - I feed them every day, I have a pan with grit and oyster shell and we keep their water clean and fresh. I rake the run twice each week and clean out their coop regularly. I also sprinkle DE in their coop straw. I have some vitamins here I can put in her water in the kennel. I have her separated now because I am afraid now that the others have seen she is weak they will hurt her. I've put the medicated food in the kennel with her and water and sprinkled the straw with DE. She's not having any respiratory issues and her craw doesn't seem to be impacted. There is not a mark on her that I can see and no blood and her back side is clean so I don't think she has had any runny stool and I don't see any runny stool on the ground or in the coop. There is nothing toxic in the run she can get to and we have that thing tighter than Fort Knox. We have hardware cloth all around the bottom and we have it rolled out flat at least three feet wide on the outside to keep the dog or any varmints from digging in and have the wire on the outside staked down with tent stakes, and buried hardware cloth on the inside to keep them from scratching and getting out. Where the rolls of wire are put together on the top to keep out owls or other creatures we literally took wire and wove it together to make it seamless - so nothing can get in at her. There are no poisonous plants or berries or anything she could get to. She was the picture of health yesterday.

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    It sounds like you have everything covered, and you have done the right thing to isolate her. Maybe she just pulled a muscle or landed wrong.

Try soaking her legs in a nice warm epsom salt bath. I would try a couple of times per day for a week or until she seems better.

5. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    I just went out and checked - she is not curling her toes under - her feet are like they should be and she just sort of squats down I can't really see what her legs are doing when she squats - it sort of looks like a nesting chicken to me how she goes down. I went and put some vitamins in her water and coaxed her to drink. I added grit to her medicated feed that I have in the kennel. Now my next question - it will probably be in the forties tonight - I have the kennel packed with straw and it is the type kennel that is not wire - it's a large dog carrier. Will I need to cover it with a blanket or should I bring the kennel inside. Right now it is outside but the temps are mild enough for me to be in short sleeves. I'll try and suggestions - Lady is definitely more of a pet than anything and has the sweetest disposition. Out of all of them to get sick this one would break my heart for something to happen.

6. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I agree that it is best to isolate her so that you can work out what is wrong, and protect her from the other girls. It will give you a chance to monitor exactly how much she is eating and drinking, and also that her poop is normal.

You say you have checked her legs, but have you checked her face / ear as eggcessive suggested? If there is any swelling or infection then that could indicate a problem.
    Do her toes curl under her when she stands, or do her feet look flat and normal on the ground? Also, when she sits down, is it in a normal way, or is she balanced oddly?

Also, do you know if she was vaccinated against Marek's disease or not as a chick?

If you can take a short video of her and post it to youtube with a link here then we can maybe get more of an idea of what she looks like.

It really does sound like you have done everything possible to protect your girls from danger and give them a good life - I hope that she starts showing signs of improvement soon.

7. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France

You need to make certain that she is somewhere warm, but not too warm. If you are not certain then it may well be best to bring her in the house for the night. I don't know if you have a big walk-in coop or a small one just the right size for your chickens, but if you can't fit her kennel inside the coop where she usually roosts then it would be better to bring her inside. Leaving her kennel outside in the run, even if it is well protected, could be very stressful for her, as she will want to get inside the coop with the other girls. It is better to bring her in to a quiet area in the house.

8. Katz5617

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks. I will put the kennel on the wagon and wheel it to the house tonight. Our coop is a small coop just big enough for six to 8 chickens to roost and the kennel is for a really large dog - we have a 160 pound Great Pyrenees so no way would it fit inside the coop.

9. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Wow! That's a big dog! Your girl will have plenty of room in there - perfect for an isolation cage. Make sure she's not in a draught tonight, and let us know how she is tomorrow.

10. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    When you say medicated feed for worms .... do you mean medicated feed for coccidia ? Has she been dewormed? With? When?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by