New to raising chickens and have questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dolihen1, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dolihen1

dolihen1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I currently have 5 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Australorp that are 11 days old, and I have ordered 15 Polish chickens which should be here in 2 days. I will keep the new chicks in a separate brooder, but my question is, will they get along in a joint pen when they can be moved outside, and when should they be moved outside?
    [​IMG]
    This was taken 7 days ago. They are growing so fast!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, dolihen1, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Those are some fine breeds. You ask some good questions - many of which can be sourced in the many articles of the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    More specifically, you can learn about introducing new chicks to established birds in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
    Polish, perhaps due to their small body size and the "blinders" they wear are often near the bottom of the pecking order. But if introduced properly you should have no problems.
    About when to move them outside - a lot has to do with the climate where you are. Generally speaking most chickens can be outside in the coop without heat when they are fully feathered - 4-6 weeks.
    Not sure where you are located but if you are in the U.S. you can chat with some poultry folks in your neck of the woods by accessing your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes to you and your flock and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. dolihen1

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Thank you, I will check the sites you have offered. We had chickens when I was a little girl, but remember nothing but gathering eggs and running away from the rooster, LOL

4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Keep an eye on your Polish when it comes time to mix them in with the others...those top knots seem to be a pecking magnet.

Best of luck to you!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    With so many Polish chicks, maybe they won't be picked on. They will probably stay in a group, and in numbers, there is generally safety. Where as putting one or two Polish in with a big group they would draw attention immediately.

6. dolihen1

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    Thanks, I will watch for that. I can keep them in a separate coop, but we hope to combine the 2 coops and make a larger run for them all.

7. dolihen1

Mar 28, 2017
    Newport News, VA
    I had originally planned to get just 2 or 3 Silkies, but settled on the Polish, Then when I filled out the order for 3 Polish, I found that I would pay about $20 more than if I got the 15. So I may have some Polish hens to give away, or sell if grown.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dolihen1 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by