New to raising Chicken's and I have one losing feather's

silverwolf

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Hi everyone,:)

I'm new at raising chicken's and I have 10 of them, all different breeds. One of them is not doing so good in its feather department. We have figured this one for a Roo and runty at that. He is an americania bantam my big problem is the huge amount of feather loss. 1/3 to 1/2 of his neck feather's and the whole lower half of his body are missing feather's. We can handle him pretty well but, he is the only one out of all 10 like this. He acts normal but, seems to be mean towards all the other's but one hen that he seems to favor. I do have a nice speckled sussex we are pretty sure is a roo and they have seemed to have fixed any dominant issue's but, with winter coming on I fear I will lose this roo.. Not sure why he's this way but, do know this much. I have had him since a couple weeks old and he seemed to have the most trouble molting(sorry if spelled wrong). When he lost feather's they just came in slowly, but fully feather, so we accepted that but, then we started noticing lots of feathers in the crate and only him missing them. So, we took out all the really big one's since he was way small and left another one not fully ready to be with the big ones as well. Well the missing feathers stopped but, none have grown back in to fill all the bald area's. Is there something else going on that I should be aware of.. Not one of the other's is this way, they are all fully feathered and doing just fine.

Thank you for any and all help,

Welcome to BYC from NY
frow.gif
I am not sure why. However, there are many chicken experts here that surely can help you. Good Luck

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. When my chickens are molting I up their protein level by mixing in some chick starter with their layer feed. It helps them grow their feathers back in faster. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom