New to raising chickens. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ForestIsBae, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ForestIsBae

ForestIsBae New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    I am ***************l and I just got chickens this year. I wanted a variety so got 1 Buff Orphington, 1 White Sex-linked, and one Plymouth Rock. As far as I know, they are all hens. Right now, they are 7 months old and not laying yet. I was told by my local feed store that they are supposed to start laying at 5 months. Any tips or advice on that? We are feeding them layer feed and table scraps and they always have food and water available.
    I am also looking into hatching some eggs to add to my flock. I incubated duck eggs once, but they never hatched. My agriculture teacher helped me candle the eggs and helped me with that process, but I still don't know what happened. Does anybody know what kind of incubator to get? Any suggested breeds for Plant City, FL? Any tips or advice would be a big help. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    I am in Lakeland, FL woohoo..
    7 months and not laying? Wow I would want to know also. Have you added any extra calcium? Like in their grit? I just read that in order to lay well, they need a high calcium intake. Might google it or maybe someone else will comment. My oldest is only 8 weeks so O am not entirely sure.

4. ForestIsBae

ForestIsBae New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    thanks smcdermott and ChickensAreSweet for the feedback.

smcdermott, I heard that they were supposed to start laying at 5 months for some breeds, but for two of mine are supp-osed to start laying later than that. The pastor at my church says that after making eggs to put the egg shells onto a pan and bake them for five minutes and then give it to the chickens. We also have added oyster shells to their layer pellets.

ChickensAreSweet, thanks for the link. I am now looking for a good quality incubator to buy. Do you know anywhere that sells fertile chicken eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by