1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising chickens for Gloucester, va

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by valchick, Mar 9, 2010.

1. valchick

valchick New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    Gloucester, Va
    Hello all,

Me and my wife are looking at getting some chicks. We are looking primarily at using the chickens as pets and eggs...not too interested in using them a meat producers now. What are the best egg producing chickens? Where near Gloucester, Virginia can I get some chicks? I see the Tractor Supply swap is happening in May, but we didn't want to wait that long.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you are just looking for chickens that will lay eggs and not hatching your own, you will not need a rooster. I'd suggest starting with sex link pullets. All the breeds have something good going for them and have people that really love them, but I think the sex links are a great starting point for your criteria.

You can order them from hatcheries, check out other feed stores near you, or advertise on this forum. There is a section for buying and selling. You might find someonenear you with some chicks available.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, you can't beat the Golden Buff as a producer. I have two of them and they lay an extra large brown egg faithfully every day! Awesome little producers! Equivalent to that are red stars or black stars, production reds, red sex links.....they are all very similar. Another excellent layer is the Black Astrolorp. They are known for laying even in the colder winter months....although I don't know how cold VA gets.

Sorry I can't tell you where to buy around there....you may have to wait for TSC unless you can order some from a hatchery. I always get mine from the hatcheries because I get them vaccinated and I know they're healthy.

Good luck to you!
    Sharon

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] and yes, just keep any eye on BSA and most feed stores will have chicks in a week or so.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. valchick

valchick New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    Gloucester, Va
    Quote:What does BSA stand for? Probably not Boy Scouts of America [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:What does BSA stand for? Probably not Boy Scouts of America [​IMG]

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad to meet you.
    Buy, Sell, Auction It is on the index page. [​IMG]

8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

I'm an Australorp addict! They lay early (16 weeks) and lay big brown eggs! They are current world record holders in egg production, and they are friendly, curious, and sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by