New to raising chickens in Tampa, fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Captaincasey31, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Captaincasey31

Captaincasey31 New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG] Hello all, It all started when I took Girlfriend to feed store around last Easter...She saw chicks and thought they would be cute to have..I have moved back home to take care of farm and Parents...I have transformed old green house into three chicken coops...20x30 each in size...chickens need 3 squared feet so could fit 200 chickens in each pen (would only put 100) so they will be happier...have 6 hens and one road island red rooster..all becoming of age this month (July) and hens should be laying eggs soon..ordered 20 chicks in the mail and have them in bruting box...one did not make it:(...My plans are to have enough eggs not only for my family but would like to contribute to a charity..I have large Garden that I curently give to friends and charity...I am also planning on using chickens that stop laying for meat..( I know that might upset few people here) I gave the first three chicks we got, amisty (will not kill) for my girlfriends sake......I have a mixture of diffrent breeds that is a good egg layers or meat..need to learn how to properly clean a chicken..I just finished building incubator cant wait to try it out..
    .I have come across fowl pox in one chicken and learned alot from this site, she is better now (been 6 weeks)....So hello to all and happy to be here.

P.s My GF is also a cat lover and Saved a kitten that is currently living with chickens..they play together but chickens will peck her if she starts to play too rough...will post pics...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Welcome from Louisiana [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Welcome!
    Adorable pic!
    Hope to see more and hear more about the chicken kitty story.
    It's great that you already donate to charity, it's even better that you are willing to give more! Kudos!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    [​IMG] from a fellow floridian.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Well, you won't have to worry about that cat hurting your chickens. That is sweet. There are a couple of good threads on here about butchering birds. Here is one. It is graphic and not for the faint of heart. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by