New to raising chickens, one already died.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeagneyChicks, Apr 18, 2016.

1. HeagneyChicks

HeagneyChicks New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Hello,

I have four children 11(girls), 10(girl), 10(boy) and 7(boy). Now I am the mom to 10 chicks 2 frizzle cochin, 2 siklies, 1 naked-neck(love her), 4 cochin(-1 that died yesterday), 1 fayoumi and 1 brahma. The black cochin had been quiet since we got her but I noticed her not being with the others in brooder so I moved her to her own. Couldn't get her to eat or drink(tried q-tip on her beck) and we lost her. All the other chicks are great and lively. They are 2 weeks old. Naked Neck and Brahma are 4 days older. They are on chick feed. Change there water twice a day and food changed twice a day. Heat lamp is around 83 degrees.

I know I don't have great layers but kids research what breeds they wanted so I went with it. I would like to get some Barred Rock this weekend but not sure.

Coop is currently being made and I only have 7 nesting boxes.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost one of chicks :hugs I'm afraid sometimes those first few days after hatch can be the time for losing them. You have some lovely breeds there and I'm sure your children will really enjoy helping to raise them. Chickens really are a hobby that the who,e family can enjoy.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard.

The general number of layers per nest box is 4:1 so you have plenty, and you will find that they all prefer to lay in just one!

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss...sometimes chicks just don't thrive like we'd wish for them to. How nice to get the kids involved in poultry-keeping...that's a hobby they can enjoy for years.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by