new to raising chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emchick, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    HI! I'm new to BYC and new to raising chickens. I'm 9. My mom and i just ordered 4 wyandottes females (for laying), 4 Japanese bantams, and 4 mille fleurs (for showing in 4-H) from McMurray. Do these breeds need any special care? Are these breeds good for my purpose?

2. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi there Emchick! You will love raising chickens as they have wonderful personalities. The wyandottes are pretty easy to care for but I don't have any of the other breeds you have. Just give them plenty of feed and water and especially love!!!!

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:Welcome Emchick-I think you will really enjoy your mille fleur bantams. Have 5 1 year old mille fleur hens and they have been alot of fun. They can really fly very well. What I love about this breed is the hens are very beautiful. Ours have got lots of speckles on them. I have always wanted a Japanese Bantam, their tail set is beautiful. One thing special about the Japanese and Mille Fleur bantams they are true bantams(this means they have no standard counterpart). Good luck in showing your new birds in 4-H.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Em!
    I love my mille fleur d'uccle! She is a sweet little girl. She doesn't like to be held but she will sit next to me when I am out with them.
    Post some pictures of your chickens when you get them. We all love seeing new chicken pictures!

5. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanx ,
    can you post some pics of your mille fleurs,black japanees,and wyandottes pease?

6. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Guys c'mon

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    to start your baby chicks youll need a brooder box.as well as shavings a feeder waterer heat lamp or a droplight with a 60 watt blub in it.youll need chick starter feed.an a coop ready in about 6wks or less.when they out grow their brooder.

8. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    We have those things & an old dog kennel for when they get older . Our brooder has a hole in the front, what should we cover it up with?

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you want to cover the front with wire that the chicks cant getout of.hardware clothe should fitt what you need.

10. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    im only 11!

im raising my first chick ever
    i agree
    i dont know how to care for her that well!

so if ya can help me plz

reply!

Cookie_Chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by