1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New to raising chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cindy65, Sep 14, 2009.

1. cindy65

cindy65 In the Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    Hi,
    I'm a brand new chicken mama.
    I have eleven two month old chicks and ten one week old chicks! I love them all, but especially my two silkies!
    Please tell me how to get them to become comfortable around me. I read all the stories of people holding their chickens on their laps and I am jealous....

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Songster

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

In a word: TREATS!!!

I go out several times a day and give my girls little treats like veggie peelings, scratch, weeds, leftover cooked rice, yogurt, hard cooked eggs, etc.

Good Luck!
    Cindy

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Welcome to BYC and raising chickens:)

I always start very young, day one basically. Hold them and pet them often and give them treats...Good luck!

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I sat down with them every day for a while and they got used to me. When they were over a month old I started offering treats and they bcame friendlier....piggies. I still sit down on the steps off the porch every day and have treats for them and 3 of the five come right up to me and let me pet them, the other two don't like to be touched......As they have gotten older and figured out that I give them treats they have been following me around, come running when they see me and are much tamer. Some jump om my lap when I sit down with treats but not all of them

5. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Songster

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Welcome to BYC! I agree, treats are key....mine like leftover scrambled eggs and bagels [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by