1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW TO RAISING CHICKENS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sutton5, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sutton5

Sutton5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Hi! We are the Sutton5 and we are new to raising chickens. We have 12 chicks that are approx. 5 weeks. We have a variety. We finally booted them to the coop yesterday. They have almost all their feathers. Though, I was a little nervous because yesterday was such a nice day, and today is 41 and raining. Tonight we are supose to have snow:rolleyes:. We have pine on the floor of the coop and we did place some straw in one corner by our heat lamp. The temp inside is running around 53. Being new is that okay? The chicks have plenty of fresh water and food. They are together around the heat lamp but also adventure around too. Guess I'm just checking to see if we're doing okay! Think there is one more day of low temps.

Sutton5:)

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    They will be fine as long as there are no drafts. Be very careful with a heat lamp. Don't put it to close to the straw, it will start a fire. Fried chicken is good, but not that way.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    First of all....WELCOME TO BYC SUTTON5. We are so glad you are here! Sounds like you're doing great so far. You are not the only one starting out new here. There are a million and one questions that are asked and these are some great people to get answers from. From our home to yours, we wish you continued success and many fun years of chickenhood. [​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I like to keep a heat lamp or two in the coop until the weather warms up for good and the chicks are at least fully feathered and roosting at night.

Just put it low enough that all your birds can get under it without piling if they are cold. I had 100 chicks last time, so I ran 2 lamps. +1 on the advice to be careful about starting a fire though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by