1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by studentsigner, Aug 16, 2011.

1. studentsigner

studentsigner New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi we're new to raising chickens and have some questions. It seems we have an aggressive rooster on our hands. I've been searching sites for several days now, a lot of them say to catch it and to carry it around. How in the world do you catch a chicken? All of ours run away from us! Most of them were hand raised so I don't understand it. We got them as tiny chicks and had a light and all. My granddaughter would hold them for hours, never just a certain one. They were hatched right before easter. So I think that makes them about 4-5 months old. They are now in the pen w/coop. We have tried to catch them again to no avail. My granddaughter was devastated that she could no longer hold them. Back to our problem. My daughter and I frequently would go back to the coop to give them treats. Now the rooster, the alpha one I am certain of, challenges us. One day he challenged my daughter who had the feed bucket in her hands. He flew up and tried "biting" the bucket. I read somewhere to challenge him. So when he challenged me, I stomped my foot and yelled no. This worked one time. Now he comes clear up to the house. One day he was at the door looking in! He likes to hide under the pine tree and if you come out in the yard, he comes running at you. I have tried chasing him back to his "domain" the area around the coop, but he has decided the entire yard is now his. He only challenges me and my daughter so far, not her husband. How do we make him stay in his area and leave us to enjoy our back yard again? I know about clipping their wings, but we had a predator get into the coop several nights and now we hate to clip their wings and leave them defenseless. Our little banties are terrified to go into the coop and we can not catch them now. We have a fence /pen at the coop so they are out during the day. But the banties got out and now we can't get them to go back into the coop. It seems that all the chickens are terrified of us. Can anyone help us? Thanks for those of you who offer suggestions!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, studentsigner! Great to have you aboard. [​IMG] I'm not a chicken expert but I know many believe it's pretty tough to rehab an aggressive rooster. There's rehoming and also a more permanent and edible solution, if you know what I mean.[​IMG] Still, someone on this site will be able to offer advice in making him a docile critter. Best of luck!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas.
    I have lot's of roos, I just "gently" kick them out of the way with my foot. I really mean more push them than anything. I am the boss [​IMG] .
    I have geese that do that at times too. But if you are afraid of him I would just rehome him.
    And most of my chickens are not friendly, even though they are hand raised. And all my turkey's are friendly as can be. [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would go with rehoming, as well, if this is an option. I think it has a lot to do with breed. We have some chickens that will run to the fence when I go out to the run. They will jump up on my arm when I put the "babies" up on the roost at night. Now, if you "try" to catch them, that seems to be another story. Sometimes I think they are mindreaders. [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Hello from Ohio [​IMG]
    Michele

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon. I have a rooster that I have held since he was hatched. It has made for a very tame rooster....hope this helps for next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by