New to raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marctrejo, Jan 26, 2014.

1. marctrejo

marctrejo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    I have 2 chickens now but getting ready to get more. I noticed some feathers missing around the neck and parts of her back. Could this be mites or lice? If so what is good med to use? Thanks for any help.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Is one of your birds a rooster?

3. marctrejo

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    No both are female.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Have you noticed any of your birds pecking at this bird's neck? Feather picking can cause feather loss. Check for mites and lice too-- you may see whitish eggs on feather shafts, or tiny blackish brownish specks moving around on the skin. Look near the vent, beneath the wings, and in the neck feathers. Is it possible that your birds are molting (how old are they?)?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It could also be your other hen is feather plucking, pulling the feathers out of the other one and eating them, have you seen anything like that?... or the hen could be molting. Do you see any pin feathers on the one missing feathers? Chickens often do start molting on their necks. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/217/moulting-a-natural-process A magnifying glass is handy for looking for finding lice/mites since they are tiny, and check the roosts/birds at night since some don't stay on the bird all the time. The BYC Learning Center has articles on lice/mites and how to id them and treatments, or post on the Predators and Pests board if you find some ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

1 person likes this.
  6. marctrejo

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    As far as age wise i have no idea i bought them off some guy on the side of the road. They are both laying. I thought one might be pecking due to the bigger one looks very healthy with no problems. But they have been cooped together since i got them there small coop is approx. 8 foot long by 4 wide on stilts. They do perch close together and nest together i have noticed the fighting at all. I looked up mites on byc and noticed a post that had a pic. That kind looked like the feathers.

7. marctrejo

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    Thanks kelsie i will break out the magnify glass. Oh and thank you for the welcome. I am here in texas.

8. marctrejo

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    Sorry i read my post. Correction i have not noticed any pecking or fight among the two. Sorry

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Give them an all over exam. Sounds like either mites, molting or aggression. Good luck with your new flock!

10. marctrejo

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    I will do that two crows thanks. I see your in n.m. My dad is from there he is going back towards the end of the month to see his brothers. In belen, magdalena albaquerque etc. we have a camp house close to the san gilla mtns. Thx.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by