New to raising Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Devers232, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Devers232

Devers232 New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Hello BYC,

The other day we were having eggs and my wife asked what the ROI would be if we started raising our own chickens. The past month we have started eating a healthier/organic diet and found that it is hard to find organic eggs without spending a lot on organic at the grocery store or making a trip to the Amish communities when the farmers markets are in their off season.

Today I started looking at prices and supplies that would be needed to start raising some chicks, and thought it would be fun for our daughter.

I did have a rough estimate on things but what would be some unseen expenses? What would you consider as an ROI? Both short and long term?

2. Going organic is either expensive or a LOT of work. Unless you going to do it on a big scale, money wise you will not see a return. However how much are you willing to sacrifice for truly healthy food?

Wish ya the best.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

There's nothing like eating your own eggs that are laid by your own hens. I've had mine for four years and still am excited every time I find eggs in the nest.

However, I've never worked out the money thing. I'm pretty sure my hen's eggs would be pretty darn expensive.

But, the benefits not only of the eggs, but the fertilizer and the entertainment value is worth it to me.

Good luck with your decisions. You will probably find LOTS of encouragement here!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 organic tends to be expensive and a lot of work, a lot will depend what is available in your area and what feed stuffs you can get. Here is a website that gives examples of cost breakdowns http://cherthollowfarm.com/2012/01/economics-of-small-farm-pastured-eggs/ Feed costs will depend on your area, and what you can grow or scraps you can get for free etc. A lot of the other stuff you can put together cheaply, Coops, check the coop section for coops/runs made out of re-purposed material like skids. If you want the hens to keep laying in the winter you will need to have light in the coop so you will need access to electric.

5. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Hello, welcome to BYC! Good luck with your endeavor.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck in your new poultry adventures and welcome to BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed