New to raising chickens

amyscheepcheeps

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Newbie to the chicken world and needing some help. I have 2 barred rocks and 2 buffs that are approx 14 wks and 2 reds approx 12 wks. Was told I bought all pullets but I'm feeling a little skeptical as they have dramatic differences in looks. Was hoping for some help from you experienced folks.
"snowball"
"sandy"
"sunny""
"Dottie"
"Henrietta"
"chicklett"

All are girls, except maybe sunny, he/she I am not sure on, I will need a better pic of the rump or tail feather area. Also Chicklett and Henrietta are not barred rocks, unless they have the poorest lacing i've ever seen ( not that there not pretty but im talking showing standard wise. And I don't see any buff rocks in there???

All of the chickens look like pullets, but you may not have the breeds you think you have. The red ones look like Red Sex Links. The pale ones don't look like Buff Orpingtons, and the darker one does not look anything like a Barred Rock. I have all three breeds, the Orpingtons are a caramel color and very fluffy. The Barred Rocks have black feathers with white bars from head to tail. They are nice looking chickens. One of my Red Sex Link pullets started laying at 17 weeks. Good luck with them!

Thanks, they were sold to me as barred n buffs.. Ooooo I hate when people take advantage of newbies! What do u think the black ones are? I know they are the most unfriendly one that's for sure! I will get a better picture of sunny. The "Easter bunny" brought these to my kids n they will b heart broken if ones a rooster(no rooster ordinance ) cause he will have to go:(
[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I believe you have all hens. Sunny would be the only one I might question, but she appears to be a Red Sex Link (like Sandy), and if so, she is female (RSL roosters are primarily white with some reddish feathers in the saddle area. Red Sex Links are hybrids sold by hatcheries under a lot of different labels (including Golden Buff). Stiggy is right about Chicklett and Henrietta; they are not Barred Rocks. They look more like hatchery quality Silver Penciled Rocks. All of these are good layers and the Red Sex Links are egg laying machines. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC - you aren't the first person to be "taken" by unscrupulous sellers. If you want a certain breed they will "have it" just to make a sale. Most chicks looks pretty much the same color when hatched, so they get away with it. Buyers must beware.

Back
Top Bottom