New to raising chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rob1975, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rob1975

Rob1975 New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Hamburg, Ny
    I'm new to raising chickens. Just recently purchased 12 pullets strictly for fresh eggs. I converted an old she' into a coop to house them at night and plan to let them free roam during the day. They have access to 5-1/2 acres of open lawn and a pond for water. My question is by letting them free roam do I NEED to supplement any other food supply for them? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcome to BYC.
    You'll want t make sue they have a steady food source, for maximum production. Today's lawns don't have enough to really keep a chicken going like yesterdays farms did. There will also be times when there just isn't enough out there. Say in winter and and a dry summer. Also having a food source close to the coop may well keep them from someplace you don't want them to be.

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    They will need feed. If you want to reduce the feed bill, let them graze in the morning and feed them in the afternoon. Lawn won't provide enough for them. I wouldn't count on the pond for water either - they will be better off providing fresh water.

If your lawn has not been chemically treated, and if you have lots of non-grass growning (clover, dandelion, chickweed, etc) it will be better. Maximum length for good grazing is just a couple of inches. Even so, you will need to supplement with something!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by