1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising chicks, but I'm hooked!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KernelPanic, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KernelPanic

KernelPanic New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    Oregon
    I've been looking at this site and planning on getting chickens long before I had the space to raise them. I moved to a 50-acre farm in December, and just got my first 5 of what I hope to be many chicks. I'm so excited to finally have chickens and contribute to this forum! I'm a huge nerd and when nerds move to farms, they put up webcams on baby animals. If you want to see and hear the new chicks in action, check out the livestream: ustream.tv/channel/sight-unseen-chickens

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) I tried to look at your livestream video, but couldn't get it to play on my computer. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] congratulations on getting your own flock

IMO, Hencams are necessary and not nerdie..[​IMG]

I have had surveillance on my flock since they were babies. Now have 4 in and around the coop and IP camera so I can watch them from anywhere.

You sound like a chicken lover…and you have come to the right place. I am so glad you have joined our flock.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D , glad you joined in.

I did check in on ustream but you were offline - will check again later.

5. KernelPanic

KernelPanic New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    Oregon
    Whoops, we had some internet problems and needed to shut off the livestream until we fix them (rural internet is a drag sometimes). Hopefully back up soon! Thanks for the welcome :) I agree that a chickencam is kind of essential - I'm planning on setting it up outdoors when we have the coop all ready to go.

Anyone have tips for keeping them out of the water dish? Mine seem to like to splash and walk in it, then peck the water off the walls of the brooder box...Sometimes they poop in it too. It only seems to bother me, though - they are quite content.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our wonderful community!

If your chicks are getting into the water dish, I suggest raising it on a block of wood. However, there isn't much you can do to completely stop them from getting into it- my chicks love kicking bedding into their water and spraying it all over the place!

8. KernelPanic

KernelPanic New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    Oregon
    Yup, tried that - they still get into it. Oh well, I guess they're enjoying it!

9. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Welcome to BYC!

Hope you enjoy it here!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I tried the cam but, it was off [​IMG] Will try again maybe earlier tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by