New to Raising Chicks in NWPA

BeckyPA

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Erie, PA
Although I have previously had a flock of chickens several years ago, they were 12 weeks when I got them. I have never had babies before. I bought these two chicks from a local farmer 10 days ago and was told they were 2-3 week old Heritage mix. Can anyone tell me what kind they might possibly be, and how soon before I can tell if I have two hens or not? Also, is it usual for the one on the right to have color of legs that it does (putty greenish). I had Rhode Island Reds previously, so this is all new to me. I am hoping to have the coop completed this weekend and move them out of the house, as they are growing fast!

4/8/14

4/18/14

Some breeds have willow colored legs and that would narrow down the choices of breed or mixture of breeds. They are both nice looking birds. The bird with the barred markings has more comb development which may possibly indicate a male. But they still are young it can go either way.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I agree the darker one is looking rooish.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Very cute chicks! The barred one looks like a Plymouth Barred Rock. Not sure about the other chick. But yes, the Barred one has some big legs growing there, so it is very possible he is a roo. You can post these pics in our What Breed and Gender section for some good ID...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Thanks, everyone, even if it is not necessarily what I am wanting to hear. LOL I keep calling the darker one a "he", and am really hoping it is a she, as it is the more social of the two. I'm not sure if I will be able to keep a rooster where I live, either. I do have plenty of options to rehome a rooster, but I would hate to do this. I'm just not sure how my neighbors would handle a noisy rooster, although it can't be any more irritating than their yappy little dog they leave tied out all the time (one acre of land and only one very close neighbor). I will wait a few more days and take another picture and post to the other forum on sexing/breed of chickens, and try to get better photos. They don't like to sit still for very long. You would think with a daily photo session, they would learn by now. :) Thanks again!

Although I have previously had a flock of chickens several years ago, they were 12 weeks when I got them. I have never had babies before. I bought these two chicks from a local farmer 10 days ago and was told they were 2-3 week old Heritage mix. Can anyone tell me what kind they might possibly be, and how soon before I can tell if I have two hens or not? Also, is it usual for the one on the right to have color of legs that it does (putty greenish). I had Rhode Island Reds previously, so this is all new to me. I am hoping to have the coop completed this weekend and move them out of the house, as they are growing fast!

4/8/14

4/18/14

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Plymouth Barred Rock and the other looks like a Easter Egger so you should have nice green egg's
jumpy.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute birds! Hope they are girls but X4 you'll have to wait a little longer but the barred one is looking rooish.

Back
Top Bottom