New to raising chicks...please help me!

vaninsua

Hatching
Feb 23, 2016
Lehigh Acres, FL
Hello....I am new to raising chickens. I have done so much research and it seems that no amount of reading can prepare you for raising chicks. My chicks are less than a week old,I have 6 and last night I lost one.I am heart broken.Is this common and how often does this happen? Should I be worried for the others? I have them in a big circular tub layered with pine shavings (recommended by my feed store),they have starter chick food, and clean water with electrolytes vitamin in it. Plus one part of the tub has a red heat lamp. I was told to leave the light on 24/7.Is that safe for the chicks and is it safe overall (could it cause a fire).Please help me. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Thank you in advance

If you have a heat lamb in a plastic tub it could melt the tub if it touches the side. I just assume you have it hanging, not attached to the side. I've only had a few hatches and I am fairly new to all this myself but from what I've learned If you have a big enough brooder and keep the light at the right distance the chicks will regulate themselves. So if your chicks are spread out laying at the outside of the heat then they are too hot. If they are all huddled under the the lamp then they are too cold. You can get into actual temps and all that jazz if you want but I've found just watching the chicks and judging what they need (heat wise) works best for me. And yes the lamp should be on 24/7. Loosing chicks is going to happen. Just part of the deal. Don't get too discouraged.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You already have some good advice from crapwagon. Its certainly not uncommon to lose a chick here and there, so don't sweat that (too much). Reading and reading can't beat experience so rely on your instincts and ask questions as you just have and you'll be fine!

CT

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your new chicks :clap I'm sorry to hear you lost one last night :hugs The first week tends to be the time they can pass away after hatch. Crap wagon left you some great advice on chick care. Have you checked them for pasty butt? Sometimes they can get bunged up at the back end with poop and inturn they get backed up a bit. Did your chick that passed away have a clean butt?

Wishing you the very best of luck with your remaining chicks :fl

Enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great advice.My babies are in an aluminum tub I believe (it's what my feed store recommended). So far the other chicks seem to be doing well.

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some great advice so I'll just say hello and it's good to have you join us!

The main thing is to have the heat lamp securely fastened so it cannot fall onto the pine shavings or chicks. Chicks start flying early and you don't want them touching the bulb.

If you have a wire top over the brooder - you could have your lamp on the outside.

Once again thank you all for the wonderful welcome and advice.it's great to be able to learn from people who have experience in raising chickens. I do have a few more questions. The person I got my chicks from said not to put the vitamins in their water the first week, when is it safe to give it to them? Also when can the chicks spend some time out of the brooder to roam around and play around in a larger area?

Back
Top Bottom