New to Raising Chicks, purchased 3 day old chicks today""NEW PICS""

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Acre of Blessings, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I would like to introduce myself as a newbie. I am very happily married and we have 3 daughters. My husband calls us the chick crew. Well today the crew just got bigger. When he comes home to a wife 3 girls, and 12 RIR's. Just brought them home today and I am already in love with all of them. They all already have names picked out for them. BUT.......

I am very new to raising chicks. Just like I am new to this forum. I will need advice. I will need your help and input. I will need the knowledge it takes to raise happy, healthy chicks. We aill very soon be in the process of building a coop, a BIG coop. Because I am headed next week to pick up a dozen Golden Reds.

My first question is.....When will there be a distinct mark for a possible Roo. I have one that chirps really loud and it's beak is red tinted and it peck's on everyone else in the bunch. It has already fell asleep in my hand.

Any help, advice, input, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Hi, I have been on BYC for maybe a month and I know someone is going to ask you how old they are and where are the pictures. I have RIR's also. I love them. My chicks were born on Easter and I have sent for 40 more. I'm sure some one with more knowledge will get on here and help you but I wanted to say good luck. You will find so many people here to help. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    How do I post a pic?

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Which one is your favorite?

That would be the roo.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Welcome to BYC!

how to post pictures

Do you have the chicks in a brooder under a heat source? They need to be kept warm...95 F for the 1st week, then lower the temp by 5 degrees each week.

Dawn

6. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    In the process of trying to get a pic on here of the chicks and 1 pic of my favorite. Be back shortly.

They are sooooooooooo cute.[​IMG]:yiipchick

7. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Here are my 3 day old chicks, well not all of them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Here's a quick ?
    Is it O.K. to put straw in the bottom of the brood. Right now that is what I have and then underneath I have a garbage bag (in case of water leaking) so it won't seep from the box to the floor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by