New to Raising Chicks, purchased 3 day old chicks today""NEW PICS""

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I would like to introduce myself as a newbie. I am very happily married and we have 3 daughters. My husband calls us the chick crew. Well today the crew just got bigger. When he comes home to a wife 3 girls, and 12 RIR's. Just brought them home today and I am already in love with all of them. They all already have names picked out for them. BUT.......

I am very new to raising chicks. Just like I am new to this forum. I will need advice. I will need your help and input. I will need the knowledge it takes to raise happy, healthy chicks. We aill very soon be in the process of building a coop, a BIG coop. Because I am headed next week to pick up a dozen Golden Reds.

My first question is.....When will there be a distinct mark for a possible Roo. I have one that chirps really loud and it's beak is red tinted and it peck's on everyone else in the bunch. It has already fell asleep in my hand.

Any help, advice, input, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
Hi, I have been on BYC for maybe a month and I know someone is going to ask you how old they are and where are the pictures. I have RIR's also. I love them. My chicks were born on Easter and I have sent for 40 more. I'm sure some one with more knowledge will get on here and help you but I wanted to say good luck. You will find so many people here to help.
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

In the process of trying to get a pic on here of the chicks and 1 pic of my favorite. Be back shortly.

They are sooooooooooo cute.
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick

Here's a quick ?
Is it O.K. to put straw in the bottom of the brood. Right now that is what I have and then underneath I have a garbage bag (in case of water leaking) so it won't seep from the box to the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom