1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keno, May 6, 2008.

1. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Hi , I am new here and new to raising chicks. I have a couple Jersey Giant chicks and 1 is fine and quite active but the other is acting weak and its poo is runny and a turquois color. Its still eating a little and drinking some water. Any ideas?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How old are they?
    Do they have access to outside?
    Have they gotten into anything?
    What do you use for shavings or bedding?
    Have they had contact with any other animals?

3. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    They are about a week old and are in a cardboard box with lamp above. I have newspaper down but no color ink on it . I have them in the house for now and havent been near any other critters.

The one is quite active and zooms all around while the other one is sluggish and only has little spurts of energy. It eats and drinks a little while the other is eating and drinking all the time .

I did put a little sugar in the water and a little in some starter with water to make a mush . There is also starter on floor of box in one end .

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Hang in there and hope she does well just keep a close eye.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Don't leave the wey starter there too long, you don't want it to grow mold or bacteria.

6. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I have been dipping its tip of beak in the water every hour to encourage a drink to try and keep it from dehydrating.

The cornish x out in the shed are growing so fast I swear you can see them growing.

7. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Quote:I've been changing it twice a day , is that ok ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by