New to raising chicks! will different breeds get along?

CrazyGoldsberry

Hatching
May 30, 2016
We are brand new to raising chickens! We bought 4 chicks today. I meant to research breeds a bit more but I ended up just letting my kids pick which chicks we bought. So we have 4 different breeds. We have a new Hampshire, dominique, sicilian, and partridge. Will they get along ok? Also my children want to hold them a ton! How much holding can I allow? Thanks! (I've alreday used this site for making the brooder for them.) ;)

Those breeds should get along fine.
Depending on the age of the children it may not be a problem or it could. If small children it is a problem if they hold them too tight or drop them.
If they are older, more handling will make them tamer.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with C/Canoe re: your chicks getting along together.

Best wishes
CT

ok. Thanks! my kids are 9, 7 and almost 6. So they are all old enough to be careful and right now they are all excited to help feed and water them. :) We'll see how long that lasts. lol

Good point.
The APA recommends washing hands well after handling chickens. Just like people should do after handling dogs, cats and any livestock.

How old are the chicks? If they are very young, they tire easily. You would want to limit play time so they get their 40 winks in.

Back
Top Bottom