New to raising chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suzaboo, Feb 1, 2017.

1. suzaboo

suzaboo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi Sue from Ontario Have had white laying hens for two years. Last spring I purchased 3 easter egger chicks and 2 olive egger chicks, turned out to be 1 EE hen and 2 Roo's and 1 hen and 1 roo olive egger. The EE lays tiny cream eggs and the OE lays pretty army green eggs. We decided to expand our flock and try hatching chicks this winter with the EE rooster (we could not keep all the roosters so kept the olive egger and not the EE's hence bad timing on hatching eggs to far from spring). We were successful in hatching 6 eggs out of the 8 with one baby chick dying unfortunately a day after hatching. It was a great experience for the kids to see although a little stressful for me I felt like an expectant mom lol

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC Sue!

Sounds like you have a nice little flock. I'm sorry you lost a chick. [​IMG]

Great to have you with us! I look forward to seeing you around. [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Sue

Glad you could join us here! What a lovely flock you have there. Sorry to hear about the chick you lost, I'm afraid it goes hand in hand with hatching. Not everyone makes it I'm afraid. It sure is great for kids to experience the hatching process. You really can't beat seeing the chicks emerge from the egg.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Sue, thanks for joining us! Overall, it sounds like you did pretty well with the eggs hatching.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Sue, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your flock!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under suzaboo [​IMG] Welcome!

I am also sorry to hear you lost a little one [​IMG] but 6/8 is pretty good.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by