New to raising chicks

eggygirl60

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2017
I bought 16 chicks back in October that were sexed as pullets. I read that there was a 10% chance that some may turn out to be roosters and some die in first week after buying them. Here it is 5wks
later and still have 16 chicks and so far only one looks like a possible rooster. Wasn't planning on having this many but I read all articles on this site about pasting on chicks butt and keeping them warm so I owe my success in keeping them all alive to Backyard Chickens. I work full time as a nurse doing 12 hr shifts but I'm a widow so nothing else to occupy my time beside my little dog who loves my chicks. Made my coop out of a tool shed I wasn't using but I haven't finished my run yet, still debating best type of fence wire. Predators around my little area of Texas are raccoons, possums, skunks, hawks, and owls. Planning on putting fencing across the top of run. Any advise is always welcome.

Hello:frow
Welcome to BYC!!
So glad to have you here!!
Thanks for sharing your story!!
If you want help finding the sex and breed of your chickens there is a forum for that. People love seeing photos of the birds to so it is a win win for you and them!

There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
Enjoy!:wee

Welcome to BYC!
Welcome Smilies!.gif

The best wire that I've found to keep out predators is 1/2 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth. It is very expensive, though.

Back
Top Bottom