New to raising chicks

DChickenMom

Hatching
Jul 24, 2021
So we have had four chickens the last year. One went broody so we decided to let her experience raising chickens. We got fertile eggs, tried to move her before they hatched and she wouldn’t have it. Our main coop is the red one off the ground with the ramp. She and the babies have been in there since they were born a week ago. She does want to come out but because of the height we were worried the babies can’t go down the ramp and because the other three chickens use the run during the day, there is scratch all over in there.
do you think week old chickens could safely go down the ramp with there mom? Do you think it’s okay they eat what she tells them to eat? We also have a sand box in there under the main coop, is that going to be okay?
if we get them out of the large main coop, should we put them in the small coop and temp run?
because she wasn’t happy moving before they hatched, the three hens we got to go in there to sleep, it’s basically big enough for three adult chickens.
right now momma seems to be losing feathers and I know she wants out, but won’t go without the babies.

Any help is appreciated!
photo- white coop and run is connected to large run but we would just shut the door to the main coop. So the babies wouldn’t be near the other chickens.

Attachments

• 25C8986F-48B3-465B-A809-AAC2C5F6CF47.jpeg
    25C8986F-48B3-465B-A809-AAC2C5F6CF47.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Beings you already separated them from other hens I think I would put mamma and her chicks in small coop and run that is on the ground closing it off from other run, in sight of other hens in larger coop and run. Let other hens get accustomed to chicks then integrate them all together.

So we tried moving them, but she won’t go out of the coop without the babies, she has 6. And she won’t let us touch the babies. The other three are okay with the smaller coop. We were thinking since there are 6 babies and the money, as they grow might be better to leave them where they are at.
We didn’t initially separate them until one of our other chickens tried to kill the babies. So we just shut the big coop door and they started using the small coop.
just didn’t know what was best.
also wondering what we could feed the babies and what ages so that momma hen can eat something different. Any suggestions?

So we tried moving them, but she won’t go out of the coop without the babies, she has 6. And she won’t let us touch the babies. The other three are okay with the smaller coop. We were thinking since there are 6 babies and the money, as they grow might be better to leave them where they are at.
We didn’t initially separate them until one of our other chickens tried to kill the babies. So we just shut the big coop door and they started using the small coop.
just didn’t know what was best.
also wondering what we could feed the babies and what ages so that momma hen can eat something different. Any suggestions?
The mom can eat chick starter. I feed a flock feed due to having a mixed flock. But, chick starter/grower is very similar to an all flock feed.
It sounds like you will have integration issues at some point so is there anyway the other flock is able to look at, but not touch the newly hatched chicks and mama?

The chicks will follow the Mom out of the coop, down the ramp. The problem is getting chicks to understand how to get back up the ramp! Some do well, some dont and Mom is stuck out with her chicks. They do fine. You should provide 20% to 24% Chick Starter (in crumble form) for mom and chicks. Mom needs extra protein after sitting all that time. She should show the chicks around, what to eat, etc. I would have like it if you isolated the offending hen and not the mom and her chicks. They should integrate just fine if that is the only hen that's mean. Mine haven't had that problem. They were with the flock from day one and doing fine! I have 42 chickens and free range them daily. Good luck! :hugs

mom and chick in july.jpg

The mom can eat chick starter. I feed a flock feed due to having a mixed flock. But, chick starter/grower is very similar to an all flock feed.
It sounds like you will have integration issues at some point so is there anyway the other flock is able to look at, but not touch the newly hatched chicks and mama?
Hi,
They can hear them not necessarily see them. We are thinking of waiting til they grow a bit bigger and then when they can come down the ramp, moving them into the smaller enclosure. Which is what we prefer to do, so they can go outside. But the small coop is pretty tiny. Fits three adult chickens. And we don’t plan on keeping all the babies. May just keep a couple.

Back
Top Bottom