New to raising chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommy 2 Wee Ones, May 19, 2011.

1. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Been lurking on BackYardChickens web site for 6 months before we made the move from California to Texas. I knew I wanted chickens, and picked out my top 5 breeds. Well, after being in our new house for 2 months, I decided it was time to get the much wanted chicks. After picking up my daughter from school, we headed over to the local feed store & picked out 6 - 2 week old chicks. 2 Buffs, 3 Rocks & 1 Wyandotte, wanted a EE, but they did not have any. So I am on the hunt for a couple to add to my litter of 6 fuzzy babies. I know I will be on the forum asking all sorts of question in the coming weeks, can not wait to hear all your words of wisdom when it come to raising happy healthy chicks.[​IMG]
    All I have to do now is learn how to post pictures on the forum.lol

2. Tawodi

Tawodi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    southern AZ
    welcome, and best of luck. here is your warning, so you cant say you didnt know... they are addictive! I went out to the coop the other day and my spouse was sitting down, chicken on her lap, petting it while it coo'ed at her. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

4. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Isn't it EXCITING! I've just hatched my first incubated chicks the other day. I hovered over that incubator for 21 days and was worse than an old hen. My kids are calling me Aunt Bird and I can't seem to get anything done around the house cause I keep running down to my back room to check on them. It's like having children again. Good luck with your babies and welcome!!

5. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    [​IMG]

I'm new to raising chickens also. I have 8 babies living in my living room right now... can't wait to finish the coop!! [​IMG]

6. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by