New to raising chicks

JulieAGill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
We have chickens running around the neighborhood. About 4 weeks ago I started hearing a chick cry out for mommy. This went on for three days. My husband found the little chick hiding I our ivy. I brought it in and decided to raise it. Also decided to get another one for it, otherwise it wanted to be held all the time. This is a whole new experience for me, but look forward to seeing if the one we found is a rooster or a hen. The one we bought is supposedly female, though I certainly don't know how they could tell!

welcome-byc.gif
If you wait a few weeks more to post photos either here on at "what breed or gender is this," it's likely someone will be able to answer your question. Some people giving/selling chicks have no idea what sex they are early in life but, will say whatever sex you are looking for to close a deal.

Hi :welcome good luck with your new chicks nice that you got it a friend always better not to be on their own. Warmth food and water a some love and you should have lovely birds this forum is great for your all your question and has a good learning centre.:frow

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It will be exciting to see what breed and gender your rescued chick turns out to be. If you bought the 2nd chick from a hatchery, they hire professionals who can either vent sex or wing sex the chicks. However, unless it is a Sex Link chick which can be sexed by color at hatching, the vent and wing methods of sexing chicks are only 90-95% accurate. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

How nice you can bring this baby inside and give him a home! It is hard to tell gender at a young age. As they grow, you can post up pics for us to see and maybe then we can tell if they are pullets or cockerels.

Enjoy your new babies and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How nice of you to rescue the chick, good luck with your new flock!

I bought the "female" from a feed store. The same person who helped me was the one who said my orhpan was a rooster. I think they are different breeds too because my orphan- "Astro" has yellow feet and his down is still yellow, the feathers are coming in reddish. The purchased one has more grayish feet and lighter in color, her feathers are also much lighter. I will post some picture later from my Ipad.

Back
Top Bottom