New to raising ducklings!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alice Monroe, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Alice Monroe

Alice Monroe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017
    Hemet California
    Recently I found a stray duckling and I go to school so I bought two more so it didn't get lonely. Now I am kinda getting the hang of it, but I have only had them for about a month. This is a picture of the duckling I found. What breed do you think it is? Any advice that would help me out a bit?

[​IMG]

Thank you so much!!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Does it always stand upright like that?

3. Alice Monroe

Apr 27, 2017
    Hemet California
    It used to stand like that when I filled its food and water bowl, but other than that, not really. Why, is that bad?

4. Poultry parent

Nope, it's not bad at all. There just happens to be a breed that only stands like that. Since it doesn't always stand like that, I'd say that you've got a Pekin

5. Alice Monroe

Apr 27, 2017
    Hemet California

Ohh! What breed do you think it is if it does stand up like that? Because when I got two more to keep it from being lonely, one of them does stand up like that often.

6. Poultry parent

The breed is called a runner duck, or Indian runner duck. They only stand upright

7. Alice Monroe

Apr 27, 2017
    Hemet California

Ah, thanks again then!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You can get a lot of information from folks on the "Duck thread." put that in the search box above and it will come up for you.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Alice Monroe [​IMG] Welcome!

Aaaw, what a little cutie!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

I see that you found the Duck Forum and you might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your ducks, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by