New to raising ducks

michelle79

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and to raising ducks. I have five ducks and they are almost full grown. I would like to add quail later this spring. I also have two ring neck doves. I have a beautiful new aviary for my birds. I am still in the process of setting it up properly so they are clean and safe. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use as a floor to keep out anything that could dig under the wall of my house. I also need something easy to clean.

Nice to meet you Jessica. The best thing would be to post on the duck forum, BYC also has forums for quail and doves/pigeons. Click on the forums box at the top of the page and scroll down until you find the heading you desire. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Hello Michelle, welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

welcome-byc.gif
I know you'll enjoy it here!!

Here are some tips to raising ducks:
In my duck pen I dug a small line around my pen and lined it with plywood to keep predators out. Also for cleaning, Use timothy hay or straw for bedding. Once it gets too dirty with poop, remove all of the hay in the pen and replace with fresh hay/straw. Also, ducks tend to smell gross Make sure you have a pool/pond for them to clean themselves in. Ducks eat a lot too, so be sure to fill their food trough every one to two days. ( same thing with water ) and be sure to give your ducks lots of attention! ( they can even learn tricks! )
- L.D.W

Back
Top Bottom