New to Raising Ducks

ducksinNH

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Hi my name is Andy and me and my girlfriend Samantha have begun raising ducks. We currently have 4 ducks named Jerry (our first and our baby) along with Red, Sheamus, and Sigmund. They all but Sigmund (very soon) now live outside in a nice chicken designed enclosure with 2 outdoor areas, once that is completely enclosed with chicken wire and one that is just a large fenced in area. Jerry was the first duck we acquired and we quickly realized that ducks need friends and cant live alone so we got Sheamus and red. Due to our fault they immediately imprinted on Jerry and are terrified of us. That is fine as they are already outside and follow Jerry everywhere he goes. Jerry almost instantly took them in as her babies and is always looking after their well being. Our 4th duck is another story however. He is maybe 3 weeks old and is terrified of me (a male) and consistently challenges me with flapping his wings or long glaring sessions. He is much calmer with Samantha hence why i believe he is a male. Sheamus and Red never exhibited this behavior yet their voices and rate of growth (they are already bigger then Jerry despite being a few weeks younger) make me think they are males. They were always scared of both of us but never aggressive. Sigmund will try and bite me if i put any finger or hand near him. So do we need more females to balance things out? We love Jerry and will do whatever we have to do to protect her. If so how many? We can support up to maybe 8 ducks with our current setup. Should we get rid of Sigmund or maybe try and get some more female ducks?

Thanks for any input.

-andy

Back
Top Bottom