New to Raising Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeeEinstein, Mar 9, 2014.

1. DeeEinstein

DeeEinstein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    At what age do you start to feed ducklings scratch feed? Right now they are on medicated chick starter and they are about 8 to 9 weeks old. Would it be ok to start introducing them to scratch feed with cracked corn in it? Feeling a little confused. [​IMG]

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok get them off of medicated start in grow immediately they can't handle all the medicine that a baby chicks can at that age , an they can start eating scratch feed as soon as they start to molt

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, only non-medicated for ducks. I feed scratch to full grown (12-16 weeks) ducks, and only as a treat every once in a while. They need the high-protein feed for growing well, so stick to chick starter or something with 18-20% protein or more.

4. DeeEinstein

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok, thank you. Is it normal for them to be terrified of being held? I have always heard that ducks were very loyal but every time I try to interact with them, it seems as if they feel I'm going to hurt them.

5. Buck Oakes

Actually mine like being held but hate being picked up

6. Buck Oakes

It's better if they eat from your hand so they can see it's actually a good thing to be held

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks HATED being held or picked up or anything! Especially the Rouens. The Pekins liked when I fed them from my hand, but that was about it. From what I hear, just keep handling them and they should warm up to you a little.

8. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Northern, NJ
    My mallard wanted to be held 24/7. But, my Swedes never liked being picked up OR held. But, now that they're adults, I can "pet" my Swedish duck (not the drake so much). But, my mallard just bites me if I even get near him. He's a stinker. LOL!

9. DeeEinstein

Mar 10, 2013
    I wish mine was more conducive to me holding them but like even today while trying to feed them from my hand, they did everything they could to get away from me. Maybe as they get older they'll realize that I'm not a threat to them. Do any of you think once they are bigger that it would be ok to put them in a coop w/ my one hen? I have 2 roosters but I keep them away from my June.. they always seem to want to attack her since it's 2 roosters to 1 hen. June is very domesticated though so I was wondering if her and the ducks would do well together or if they ducks should remain separate? Any suggestions?

10. Shion

Shion Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't think its anything in particular like they hate you, its like an animal instinct for them to run away and struggle when held/captured. If you really want to hold them, pick them up quickly but carefully to not cause any discomfort and place them on your lap or so then pat/stroke them slowly and softly until they calm down. After about a day or two, my ducks have fully adjusted to being snuggled by me everyday and most of the time they climb onto my lap when I'm sitting on the floor and just sit and sleep there. Though every now and then when I come close to them they run away as if I'm a giant about to gobble them up. Still very cute though c:

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by