1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising laying hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Illaheelayers, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Illaheelayers

Illaheelayers New Egg

Oct 26, 2011
    I recently rebuilt a chicken coop on our property. I am nearly ready to purchase some chickens can anyone give me some advice on the best chickens to start out with. We live in the Northeast Georgia mountains and are interested in about 4-6 laying hens to go into our 6'x8' coop. I have made a predator proof yard of about 12'x20'. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Ohio. Truly, I think the best layers are the hybrid breeds. Cinnamon Queens, Golden buffs, RSL, BSL, Amberlinks, there are so many different names for them.

My Barred Rock was also an excellent layer, and of course you've got your Leghorns, and Rhode Island Reds.....If you want a specific breed, I'd go with those

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You cant go wrong with Barred Rocks, my favorites. [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York!

Quote:[​IMG] Sorry, I know you are new, but I don't think anyone who has been here long believes there is any such thing as "predator proof". Predator resistent, yes. Highly predator resistent, yes. But, a motivated (and hungry) predator will eventually find a way in if you do nothing.

Best of luck with the new chickens and keep a watchful eye for predators working at your defenses!

[​IMG]

5. Farmgirl09

Farmgirl09 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    east TN
    Hello. Im new too. I have rode island red pullets. They should be laying any day and I will be waiting for that day lol. If you plan on hatching and selling chicks from good egg laying hens. I would go with pure bred chickens.

6. dawson27

dawson27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Hello and Welcome to BYC!!!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

We have black copper marans, they are hardy, heat resistant, and very entertaining. They lay dark brown eggs, if you are looking for good prolific layers they are not the best but they are dependable.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by